1996 GMC K3500 DRW, Extended Cab, Flatbed, 454, NV-4500... DAILY DRIVER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
Got parts?
You must be registered for see images attach

Took the '97 to a wrecking yard, got a couple Benjamins out of it. The engine and trans went to another friend, picture a bagged '70 C10 as the recipient.

Pecked away at various little things on the flatbed in the evenings for a couple weeks (to this day, still not done.) and then one weekend I decided to clean up the outside. Clay bar, rubbing compound, polish, wax.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
This truck is probably one of the baddest, if not the baddest K3500 ever.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Prior to the accident, I accomplished one of the tasks I've had on the back burner. BRAKE UPGRADE! Anyone watch that Alaska Off-Road Warriors show? The lower 48 team? I've had the pleasure of talking with both of them on multiple occasions. Carl owns/runs Jantz Engineering near where I used to live & work, I had him machine the upper and lower ball joint tapers in a set of GMT-800 knuckles for me to the correct diameter for the -400 ball joints. During the brake upgrade I installed new upper and lower ball joints, lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, and sway bar end links.

Good-bye...

Hello

Coming together

So much bigger

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one thing I didn't do with the brake upgrade was flush the brake fluid, I just topped it off and bled the fronts. I knew David wanted to flush the Black Fox with new fluid so I held off until then. He has a power bleeder, clamp a plate onto the top of the MC, pressurize to 12-15 psi and go around opening bleeders. It has a reservoir of fluid within it, maintains a level in the MC so you're (ideally) not introducing air into the system. I siphoned the old fluid out of mine first so I could clean the reservoir, it was nasty.

Before

After

As I worked my way around under the truck I was shocked at the lack of fluid flow. With the requisite 15 psi in the power bleeder I completely removed the bleeder from the right rear wheel cylinder and poked around with a probe looking for blockage. Nothing encountered so I put the bleeder back in, left it cracked, had David depress the brake...VOILA! I had fluid. I couple cycles of standard bleeding with the power bleeder and it started flowing well. Repeat procedure for the left rear, resulted in good flow. Fronts flowed well when I opened their bleeders. Truck stops very well now. The brake upgrade was a noticeable improvement, the new fluid helped as well.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thus far in 2015 the flatbed got a brake upgrade, an E24 swap, DOT 4 brake fluid, various other little things then it was time for another big ticket item. Rubber. I have had a set of OEM steel wheels in storage that had been blasted and powder coated "speedboat aluminum w/clear". I may have a picture a page or two back of them when we picked them up. Here they are now.

Tires and wheels meeting for the first time, looks like it will go well.

I think they'll get along well together.

Closeup of the match.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, same Coopers as on the Black Fox, Cooper ST MAXX in LT255/85R16. For those of you that follow that build you know I need an altitude adjustment and spacers.

Quick trip to a wrecking yard secured me some GMT-800 blocks, they're about 1.75".

New ubolts

The WORST DAMNED DESIGNED PART ON THESE TRUCKS

I'm tenacious

High zinc primer

No assembled pics, I was jonesing to get the new shoes on.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rear coming together, spacers are 1.5" thick steel from Motorsport Tech CALL THEM FOR GMT-400 APPLICATION, at the time I ordered them they did not have them listed on their site. The clearances are very close when keeping a stock wheel. In my picture you can see how much material they left in the center to maintain hub centricity. 88GMCtruck is running a custom set on The Black Fox from the same source.

One side done

Couple close-ups

Flatbed clearance

Done, picture taken at work later in the week

Washed it again, now with cab lights again!

Last edited:

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Random work photos.

Catching some air

Load of sound wall panels to go to jobsite

Load of pumps returning from jobsite

Last weekend I moved an S10 crew cab cab for a friend.