1996 Yukon 4wd | Second GMT400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
I'll start off saying I have a couple vehicles and a couple build threads. I have a 1996 GMC Yukon 2wd (original Project Yukon HD), a 2000 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), a 2000 GMC Sonoma, a 1990 Jeep Cherokee (Trail Rig), and now I have acquired another GMT400. A 1996 GMC Yukon 4wd.

First off if anyone is interested in my other vehicles, here they are:

1996 GMC Yukon 2wd. I got this thing in September of 2014 and have done a lot of things to it over the years. I had always wanted it to be 4wd due to what I use the truck for (tow rig for Jeeps) and was planning to SAS and 4wd swap it in the future. I'd even already picked up a front axle and a transfer case. Well, plans have changed and I'll get a little into that later.
Build thread: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/project-yukon-hd-1996-yukon-c1500.33671/
You must be registered for see images attach
IMG_20200317_172232 by Daniel Pace, on Flickr

2000 Jeep Cherokee. This was the first vehicle I got all the way back in March of 2008.
Build thread: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/2000-cherokee-sport-143490/
IMG_20200208_150435 by Daniel Pace, on Flickr

2000 GMC Sonoma. I got this late 2017 after my grandmother passed away as a gas saver type vehicle. Of course I couldn't leave it stock. I'm in the middle of making it a Sonoma Xtreme. (add the s10 Xtreme body kit)
Build thread: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/2000-gmc-sonoma-sls-ext-cab-gas-saver.39872/
2020-08-11_09-43-58 by Daniel Pace, on Flickr

Lastly is my Trail Rig, 1990 Jeep Cherokee. Lots has been done to this but I currently don't have a build thread.
IMG_20180616_183052 by Daniel Pace, on Flickr

Now to the main event. Like I said, I picked up another GMT400 in June - 1996 Yukon 4wd. I wasn't in the market to buy anything at the moment much less another Yukon. But I got called up by a friend and asked if I wanted a parts truck for my Yukon and that it was 4wd. I was like sure, I could use parts from it to help 4wd swap mine. Got it super cheap and couldn't say no.

Well, after looking at it, I decided to actually rebuild it and keep the truck whole since the transmission and transfer case seem to be in working order. Was a running and driving truck before the motor spun a bearing. It also still runs and drives - but I'd never do anything more that moving it around the yard. It's in pretty rough shape interior wise but shouldn't be too much work getting the broken stuff replaced and working. But first and foremost it needs a motor. After that the whole suspension needs to be gone through and replace all the bad components, it has about 285,000 miles on it. interior work can be last after I get it driving reliably.

So as of now I am deciding what route I'd like to go for the replacement 350 Vortec. Multiple options; New (GM service engine), reman, used (what I'd like to find), or a shot in the dark on a junkyard engine. If I were to go the new/reman route, the new/reman engine wound be going in my 2wd Yukon and the 2wd engine would be going in this.

Either way I'd like to find one used that I know runs, of course everyone on marketplace (when you can actually find a 96-02 350 Vortec) always says they run. But I might just have to take a chance, I'd rather not drop a couple grand on a new/reman engine when I know if I'm patient I could find a used running engine from a wrecked truck.

And no, before anyone says anything. No LS swap. I'd spend as much if not certainly more than just getting a new/reman motor. I'd do that before LS swapping. LS's are great engines but a lot more goes into installing one that people think to get the vehicle running and operating like factory. This includes working factory gauge cluster and all. Also, if any of the two get a LS swap it would be my 2wd Yukon.

Anyway, here's the pictures of the truck and also a couple videos on the truck. I've already got some parts from the junkyard. The torsion bar crossmember was damaged so I picked one of them up and I also got the cargo door latches and rods since the driver side cargo door was non functioning.

IMG_20200619_171607 by Daniel Pace, on Flickr
IMG_20200619_171615 by Daniel Pace, on Flickr
IMG_20200619_171916 by Daniel Pace, on Flickr
IMG_20200619_175724 by Daniel Pace, on Flickr

A video of it running
VID_20200619_192419 by Daniel Pace, on Flickr

The YouTube video I did on introducing it and rambling on what I wanted to do with it. (have now decided to keep the truck and fix it)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Now, again, I will be fixing the truck and getting it back on the road as long as plans don't change. As with any project, plans can change. Future plans once it's driving and seems reliable, will be 6" lift (later on SAS with 8 Lug D44 I already have) and swapping my wheels and tires plus bumpers from my 2wd Yukon to this one. My 2wd Yukon will then be dropped back down to factory and maybe install a LT4 hot cam and make it a mild street truck.

But yeah, this will probably be slow at updating since I don't have a motor yet. But once I get a engine and get it driving it should pick up.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I thought I recognized your projects, then I remembered I just read your Sonoma thread. Can’t wait to see what you do to this one too!

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Just me or did somebody else notice the power steering cap way up next to the oil filler cap?

Yep the power steering reservoir has some kind of extension on it. I'm guessing it's maybe from an van/RV but I don't know. It's not attached to anything. I'll probably just get a standard cap and take it off. I don't like it.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep the power steering reservoir has some kind of extension on it. I'm guessing it's maybe from an van/RV but I don't know. It's not attached to anything. I'll probably just get a standard cap and take it off. I don't like it.

I've never seen that. Kind of cool but yeah seems like a wierd location on that setup