1996 Chevrolet c3500HD CrewCab BEAST - Junkyard Rescue Take II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I do have a little progress. Got three of the continentals mounted by hand. The other three tires are too junky for my liking but there are some other tires laying around here that look better and are Michelins as well.

Figured these will be okay to run into the ground so I can get the truck usable until I can pony up for some Goodyears.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

gstubbz

Reaction score
So back to freaking me out about other stuff... this NOx requirement thing in this amazing state might also make it a PITA to get this truck legal with my engine choice and having the GVWR it has and them wanting DPF and PM filters on all trucks over 14,000GVWR.

Here's some info taken from the PDF that was last updated in Dec 2017. Link Here

"When do I need a PM filter if I only have a few trucks in the same weight category?

If all trucks within a weight category operate exclusively in NOx Exempt Areas, a one-truck fleet will need one PM filter by January 1, 2017, a two-truck fleet will need one PM filter by January 1, 2015 and another by January 1, 2019, and a three-truck fleet will need one PM filter by January 1, 2015, two by January 1, 2017, and three by January 1, 2019."

Yet most of Northern Cali is "NOx Exempt" but they still want you to have a Particulate Matter filter?? Seems like 2018 is the last year you can get by not having a PM filter at all.

"Are there any labeling requirements?

Yes, vehicles that are designated as NOx Exempt, must be labeled on the left and right door with the letters “NE” in three inch white block letters on a five inch by eight inch black background, unless the owner chooses to comply by using a vehicle location tracking system. The labels must be in clear view at all times. ARB will not issue the label."

I sure AF don't want to put anymore labels on my truck then I have to, and the fact they want to track you if you don't put NE on the door, fu3k them.

I'm thinking this PM deal is so you can operate in the following green counties without DPF, and to operate in white counties you need both the DPF and PM stuff. This blows. Makes me wonder if the truck was registered in Nevada if I can run the truck in those counties telling Cali to suck it. I honestly wouldn't care getting the truck retrofitted if it wasn't going to cost $12,000 but that's worth more than the truck. Pretty much telling to fu3k myself and install a 2010 engine.

Makes me wonder if I can register it as 10 or 11k GVWR and get around all this fuckery like all the light duty 6.5 trucks. I already don't want a "15" sticker on my door immediately letting all of the CHP DOT guys know that I'm a "commercial" truck even with all the "Not For Hire" sticker stuff.

I didn't think about it until just now, and all the 3500HDs I still see running around are actually gas powered. I can't even recall seeing a 6.5 3500HD in Cali for the longest time.

Oregon is starting to look promising. So is Nevada. Might have to move when my college stuff is over.

Last edited:

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
So back to freaking me out about other stuff... this NOx requirement thing in this amazing state might also make it a PITA to get this truck legal with my engine choice and having the GVWR it has and them wanting DPF and PM filters on all trucks over 14,000GVWR.

Here's some info taken from the PDF that was last updated in Dec 2017. Link Here

"When do I need a PM filter if I only have a few trucks in the same weight category?

If all trucks within a weight category operate exclusively in NOx Exempt Areas, a one-truck fleet will need one PM filter by January 1, 2017, a two-truck fleet will need one PM filter by January 1, 2015 and another by January 1, 2019, and a three-truck fleet will need one PM filter by January 1, 2015, two by January 1, 2017, and three by January 1, 2019."

Yet most of Northern Cali is "NOx Exempt" but they still want you to have a Particulate Matter filter?? Seems like 2018 is the last year you can get by not having a PM filter at all.

Yes, vehicles that are designated as NOx Exempt, must be labeled on the left and right door with the letters “NE” in three inch white block letters on a five inch by eight inch black background, unless the owner chooses to comply by using a vehicle location tracking system. The labels must be in clear view at all times. ARB will not issue the label."

I sure AF don't want to put anymore labels on my truck then I have to, and the fact they want to track you if you don't put NE on the door, fu3k them.

I'm thinking this PM deal is so you can operate in the following green counties without DPF, and to operate in white counties you need both the DPF and PM stuff. This blows. Makes me wonder if the truck was registered in Nevada if I can run the truck in those counties telling Cali to suck it. I honestly wouldn't care getting the truck retrofitted if it wasn't going to cost $12,000 but that's worth more than the truck. Pretty much telling to fu3k myself and install a 2010 engine.

Makes me wonder if I can register it as 10 or 11k GVWR and get around all this fuckery like all the light duty 6.5 trucks. I already don't want a "15" sticker on my door immediately letting all of the CHP DOT guys know that I'm a "commercial" truck even with all the "Not For Hire" sticker stuff.

I didn't think about it until just now, and all the 3500HDs I still see running around are actually gas powered. I can't even recall seeing a 6.5 3500HD in Cali for the longest time.

Oregon is starting to look promising. So is Nevada. Might have to move when my college stuff is over.
seems like alot of stickers for a personal vehicle. my truck has 2, fighting irish, and my lady on the back window lol. pretty much the only restrictions in Indiana is it cant be louder than a certain Db, as long as it isnt louder than that, they absolutely do not care what you do with your vehicle.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea thatll be the hard one, best way would be to call a smog ref and ask since as a light duty it's smog exempt but with the commercial weight rating Idk how it works, I kno a few ranchers who have this problem with their hauling trucks.

One idea, I know it's not technically legal, is to vin swap it with a 3500 non hd then I believe you can have them increase the weight. I'm not 100% cuz I've never really looked into it but things I've been told by some old timers an how they would get around good ole cali.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
There are a handful of states that allow you to swap VINs. They have a process to go through. You must own both vehicles, and the DMV will be the ones removing and reassigning the VIN.

Long ago, in the research I was doing on this subject, I believe It was CA DMV website I found it on.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I kno all abt that law, trust me, I've looked into swapping the older crew cab w350 dodges with a 93 and it can be done. I'm not saying it's legal but there are some loopholes as with alot of other laws.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Picked up a part today. A buddy was parting out a 98 ram 2500 and wanted the engine and trans for his 95 Fummins project. I scored the intercooler for $100 and it's actually in really good shape for 340k!

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

First i've heard of this, that blows.
I would just move to Nevada, in fact my wife and I have talked about it.
My 92 k2500 reg renewal came in at $200 :eek: