1996 4L80E P0713 Transmission fluid temp sensor problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There's some that like the deep pans and think they're worth it and others that don't - ultimately it's your call but I like them (the aluminum ones) because they add fluid capacity, dissipate / exchange heat faster than sheet metal pans, have drain plugs (though you can weld one in to a stock pan) and look nice...I always recommend them for anything heavy duty and/or high performance if ground clearance allows for it...

That Rostra harness should work for any years within the specified range (ditto for the temp sensor) so def check into @Schurkey 's rec for the PCM update as that could be the source of the problem...

Yea, do whatever you think works for you but if heat isn't managed properly it doesn't matter what pan you have installed...All other things equal (i.e. proper heat management) a deeper aluminum pan w/extra capacity helps the transmission more than it hurts....Depending on application, it may be strongly recommended or just optional so but for some, including you, perhaps the cost/benefit isn't there.

I tow as heavy as anyone on here, but I'm not interested in opening my wallet without knowing what real world results to expect. All we know is that a deep pan holds more fluid and that cast aluminum dissipates heat better than stamped steel. Great. Now what does that actually mean when I'm towing in the dead of summer? Anything at all? A 2-3 degree drop in temps isn't enough to get me a drop a couple hundo nor is it enough to justify the effort of installation. I seriously doubt there'd be a 10-20 degree diff after install. You just don't see that kind of data. Even the diff covers Gale Banks sells that has that data indicates you're far better off getting a bigger cooler.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tow as heavy as anyone on here, but I'm not interested in opening my wallet without knowing what real world results to expect. All we know is that a deep pan holds more fluid and that cast aluminum dissipates heat better than stamped steel. Great. Now what does that actually mean when I'm towing in the dead of summer? Anything at all? A 2-3 degree drop in temps isn't enough to get me a drop a couple hundo nor is it enough to justify the effort of installation. I seriously doubt there'd be a 10-20 degree diff after install. You just don't see that kind of data. Even the diff covers Gale Banks sells that has that data indicates you're far better off getting a bigger cooler.
As I said, it's more of an optional thing aka "you do you". The pan helps (you said as much in the above), all other things equal but how much is anyone's guess. You and other folks are free to weight the cost against benefits and choose to or not to on a case by case basis. I put them on but if you don't prefer them, then don't - lol, simple as that...And yes, put the biggest cooler you can fit helps more than anything else (coupled with ensuring you have adequate shielding or distance from heat sources like exhaust piping.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO we "know" that a cast-aluminum pan dissipates heat faster than stamped-steel?

If the thickness was similar, sure. But is an eighth-inch (likely significantly more) of aluminum better than .064 of steel?

Keep the torque converter clutch locked, and trans temp should never get too high. Thus it's better to tow in 3rd or even 2nd gear with the converter locked, than OD with the converter unlocked.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm done w/the pan debate, don't give a **** one way or another at this point...I offered it as a suggestion, others had their own opinions which is fine. Towing heavy loads in overdrive is not recommended.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with an aluminum pan if for nothing else, it holds a little over a quart more of fluid. Also, have a sensor in the test port and while driving and comparing temperatures with factory sensor via Dash Command, they are generally within 10°-12°(factory hotter). Factory sensor seems more real time, while the test port sensor takes a bit longer to catch up. That’s pretty much what I’d heard about test port temps., so with that in mind, I find that set-up reasonably reliable.

Last edited: