1996 chevy c3500 454/4l80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So my dually is almost randomly and a little more frequently recently not wanting to move from a standstill. It does it hot or cold. I've noticed it when I turn sometimes as well. The transmission doesn't slip through any of the gears. As soon ad it starts moving after about 10mph it seems to be fine and shifts great. What is causing this? Like I said it kind of does it when I'm turning also no matter the gear I'm in when I turn down a different road

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
So my dually is almost randomly and a little more frequently recently not wanting to move from a standstill. It does it hot or cold. I've noticed it when I turn sometimes as well. The transmission doesn't slip through any of the gears. As soon ad it starts moving after about 10mph it seems to be fine and shifts great. What is causing this? Like I said it kind of does it when I'm turning also no matter the gear I'm in when I turn down a different road
Does it feel like the brakes are self applying? That's what my '97 C3500 crew cab did last year, when the hydro boost unit went bad. Had it replaced twice; the first replacement went bad and was poorly installed.
Also, check the transmission fluid level, it may be low.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bear with me, it's been twenty five years since I learned how torque converters work, so one of the pros may have to step in and correct me. That sounds like a torque converter failure. If the one-way clutch in the stator goes out you lose torque multiplication at lower RPM. When you accelerate from a stop the stator starts out spinning backwards, and the one way clutch locks. When you get up to speed the clutch spins the opposite direction, freewheels like normal and runs fine. If the stator doesn't lock when running in reverse, you lose that low end torque multiplication.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bear with me, it's been twenty five years since I learned how torque converters work, so one of the pros may have to step in and correct me. That sounds like a torque converter failure. If the one-way clutch in the stator goes out you lose torque multiplication at lower RPM. When you accelerate from a stop the stator starts out spinning backwards, and the one way clutch locks. When you get up to speed the clutch spins the opposite direction, freewheels like normal and runs fine. If the stator doesn't lock when running in reverse, you lose that low end torque multiplication.
Correct, sounds like stator owc failure to me as well.

@Dalton Miller 2003 - replace the converter and take the pan off the trans when it's put of the vehicle...check the front pump seal for wear and replace if any is observed (or just proactively if a lot of miles are on it.

Do this only after a check of the pan reveals nothing unusual. If fluid is very dark, stinks of burnt clutch material and lots of material is present, tear it down for inspection and overhaul.