1995 to 1997 Fog Lamp Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Looks to me like the switch button itself should have a metal contact for those two to complete the circuit from pin B to D. Those spring tabs should not contact the circuit board or anything attached to it.

I might have a spare switch in my inventory I can check out later.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
It is as I suspected, metal contacts on the button contact the two spring contacts to complete the circuit. Also, the yellow indicator bulb is an LED already, that's why there's a 1.2k ohm resistor inline with it. Blue-filtered bulb is a standard incandescent however. The two bulbs share a ground, power pin A for illumination of the Fog text, power E for the LED indicator, ground F, and power your fog light relay through B and D, either of those two pins can be power in or out as they have no effect at all on the two bulbs.

Attachments

• 20240410_120419.jpg
    20240410_120419.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

J_T_Beal

Reaction score
Update - This worked. The bezzel bulb is burned out....so one more step is needed. Ugh.

Attachments

• New_Pic_2.jpg
    New_Pic_2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 2

J_T_Beal

Reaction score
Looks to me like the switch button itself should have a metal contact for those two to complete the circuit from pin B to D. Those spring tabs should not contact the circuit board or anything attached to it.

I might have a spare switch in my inventory I can check out later.
The one on the left connects the current for the fog night. There is a solder point connection mid-spring.

Attachments

• raisedpoint.jpg
    raisedpoint.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 3

J_T_Beal

Reaction score
It is as I suspected, metal contacts on the button contact the two spring contacts to complete the circuit. Also, the yellow indicator bulb is an LED already, that's why there's a 1.2k ohm resistor inline with it. Blue-filtered bulb is a standard incandescent however. The two bulbs share a ground, power pin A for illumination of the Fog text, power E for the LED indicator, ground F, and power your fog light relay through B and D, either of those two pins can be power in or out as they have no effect at all on the two bulbs.
Thank you! That is an interesting switch. What year is that?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The one on the left connects the current for the fog night. There is a solder point connection mid-spring.
Yes the solder point is there, but during normal operation the spring tab does not touch it... I pulled this switch from a junkyard truck, no idea the year but there's no discernible difference between years of the same style of switch... I guarantee yours is functionally identical to mine lol

J_T_Beal

Reaction score
Well....inexpected outcomd...happy with it more than expected. I soldered a blue LED to replace the old one. I also soldered a new a new bezel incandescant. Unexpectadly the blue led bleeds over and the active fog light lens is orange. The blue bleed over looks pretty cool. I have to fix the crack in the bezel plastic.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240413_213805_Video Player.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240413_213805_Video Player.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 4
  • SmartSelect_20240413_213726_Messages.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240413_213726_Messages.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 4

J_T_Beal

Reaction score
Yes the solder point is there, but during normal operation the spring tab does not touch it... I pulled this switch from a junkyard truck, no idea the year but there's no discernible difference between years of the same style of switch... I guarantee yours is functionally identical to mine lol
Do you have an extra?

383mazda

Reaction score
Well....inexpected outcomd...happy with it more than expected. I soldered a blue LED to replace the old one. I also soldered a new a new bezel incandescant. Unexpectadly the blue led bleeds over and the active fog light lens is orange. The blue bleed over looks pretty cool. I have to fix the crack in the bezel plastic.
You could probably put a short piece of shrink tube on the base of the LED bulb to help with that light spill.