1995 suburban 2wd to awd swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Copilla

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has tried this. Recently came into ownership of a 1995 burb. 350, auto, 2wd.... so it's 5 lug. A 2001 awd ASTRO van has become available to me for cheap. I know people swap that awd setup into S10s. Being my burn is 2wd, it has the same bolt pattern. I'm thinking I could swap in the trans/trade and front diff. Use regular cv axles with the ASTRO van hubs and make it work. But not sure. Any input?

I was going to do a SAS swap and make it an overlanding rig, but this seems like a cool idea and less money

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agree with Mr Super111.
The 2wd frame is incompatible to swap in a differential. If you really want to keep the Suburban, solid axle swap is the only way to convert it, other than an entire frame and wiring swap.
The V6 tranny won't live behind a V8 very long without an internal rebuild/upgrade, the Astro front driveshaft won't work either. Neither will the Astro or Suburban rear driveshaft.
The Suburban tranny x-member might...
You'll have to extend the VSS wires.

Oh, and there should be late 70s Ford Dana 44s available with 5 lug, just get 6 new wheels: 2 sets of 3, with 2 different lug bolt patterns. 2 rear 5x5 and a spare, and 2 front 5x5.5 and a spare along with 6 new tires.

Copilla

Reaction score
You're most likely correct and I have most of the parts to do it already. This just came up and I was curious