1994 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I assume their kit doesn't work because they use the bottom of the frame to line up with the current holes
So if you try nd press it against the bottom of the frame they won't line up with the bolts they use
The ones that go to the body mount
A kit like sky's wouldn't have that issue cuz you bolt just for fitting not permanent

But I don't work for Sky and could be wrong lol

Sorry OP

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I assume their kit doesn't work because they use the bottom of the frame to line up with the current holes
So if you try nd press it against the bottom of the frame they won't line up with the bolts they use
The ones that go to the body mount
A kit like sky's wouldn't have that issue cuz you bolt just for fitting not permanent

But I don't work for Sky and could be wrong lol

Sorry OP

From what i've heard you don't have to do anything different than a 4x4 SAS, you just have to get a kit made for a 2WD and have to obviously get a 4x4 trans...

ban for putting 800 mirrors on it

You don't like the GM HD Tow Mirrors?? Like the dodge better or something? haha

And with the overall ruling of a SAS....I was kidding earlier, i'm sure i could handle a SAS or even a cummins swap on this truck... But honestly it would just be throwing too much money in it... right now i'm content with the oil leaking 6.5. I won't rule out some kind of a motor swap in the future but a SAS is probably out on this truck at least... if i want a Solid Axle 4x4 i'll probably do a K20 "winter truck" build.. But until i have a extra garage or shop of my own, additional projects will likely have to wait.

Here's some more shots...
You must be registered for see images attach

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Woohoo! I'm diggin the tow mirrors. Needs moar lift :deal:

Sent from my 350 TBI powered iPhone

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
i absolutely hate the 800 mirrors, gues im the only one left with dodge ones. fine

One problem i have with the dodge mirrors are that i haven't ever been able to fix vibration, mine always vibrated like crazy..

Also idk, i just kinda have associated that mirror with a dodge truck, and the GMT800 mirrors with a GM truck... i guess they just looked to out of place IMO. I like GM mirrors on GM trucks, Ford Mirrors on Ford Trucks, and Dodge Mirrors on Dodge Trucks...

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Update.

So debating on putting new rims on the truck since the 97 got some new rims... except this one is keeping 16's. 285/60/18's wont fit and i want a cheap tire... i have a set of 265/75/16's that i know fit this truck.. question is what rim... or leave the PY0's...

Also the truck is going to likely to get converted to a gas 350 in the next year or two... Now before everyone starts getting rowdy there is a reason... i give this 6.5 motor another year tops. Leaks oil, smokes like crazy, blows coolant, clanks, etc. Truck runs strong but it's time to start building a backup plan because i can tell it's something the motor has to come out for to fix and that's gonna be the 3rd time i've had to rip this thing apart..

Cummins swap is too expensive
6.5 build is too expensive, less power than a built 350..
LS swap is too much work for me...i'd prefer a old school 350.

This isn't a final decision yet but it's certainly in my thoughts right now. A completely overhauled 350 and a built trans would give this truck more power, and the reliability i need. The 454 is at 204k and isn't going to last forever. If i keep two trucks i need to have one that for sure won't let me down.. and even if i build a 6.5 from scratch i'm going to spend big bucks.

I'll probably build a mild small block 355 or 383, build up the trans and then i should be set for quite some time. It's a rust free truck and will have a all rebuilt powertrain, basically starting with a new truck.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have black wheels on my truck that is the same as yours and I really like them but I have grown to think they need something to break up all the black so I think I need to color match the fake bolts or the simulated bead lock ring. The B wheels are always awesome looking on these trucks.

You must be registered for see images

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Yeah i really like your truck, makes me wish mine was 4x4 and lifted a little.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
So i've looked through tons of rims....

The KMC Hoss wheels are priced at $154 per wheel, which is more than i paid for my 18's. So they're out.

IMO the pro-comp & Eagle alloy's are a little to "retro" and almost make it look outdated. If i'm going to spend money to replace the existing wheels i want to make it a significant upgrade. I still like both of them but i'm trying to go for a more modern look without too much bolt on accessories.

The black/chrome ION wheels (similar appearance to the eagles look good, but i think the chrome lip will make the wheel look smaller, and the all black look will hide the size, meaning i can get away with a smaller wheel without making the truck look like it's on small wheels & tires, in comparison to my 97 which has 18x10's.

I do like my Raceline wheels and i found another product by them i like, it's called their "Assault" wheel, looks similar to the higher end moto metal wheel. I also think it brings a modern type look to the truck, i just don't know how that will look on a 16" rim.