1994 Chev K1500 6.5 TD ECSB - Junkyard Rescue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm considering selling this truck again if I have it complete within the next few weeks, only because I want something bigger and better!

1993 K3500 Crew Cab Long Bed with a 6.5L

You must be registered for see images attach

It needs an axle (which I have a 8 lug under the parts truck), wheels (parts truck), and last but not least, a transmission. It had a nv4500 that was going bad so the guy took it out. The crew cab is $400 and the dude said the title is clean, then I need to hunt down a nv4500. Everything else is there he sent me interior pics when I asked for them. Brown interior with manual windows. Drivers seat is tore up but I'd be replacing with cloth.

Opinions if I should jump on the crew cab while it's available and sell this truck? I know I probably won't get much for what I have into it but I'd like to have a crew cab GMT400 (and have since day one).

Yes buy it! :D
And swap the new interior you just got from the cab.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Well I haven't posted anything about this truck in about two months. So here is an update!! I ended up not buying that crew cab, the guy ended up selling the entire truck before I could make the trip down to Sacramento to pick it up. Oh, and today was daylight savings time and I hate it, less time to work on my truck :flame:

My oil cooler was leaking, so I bought a new one from Pick N Pull in Sparks, NV and surprisingly, there were 2 6.5L trucks there and of course a bunch of other trucks and suburbans, and out of 30 or so trucks I found only one oil cooler I needed, from a c1500 with a 350 nonetheless! And the truck also leaks coolant going into the heater core, so that is another thing I (still) have to deal with. Also, I fixed the fuel tank issue. More on that later.

I was at the truck a week or two ago, didn't do anything to it but it fired right up! Connected the batteries, waited for the glow plugs, and away it roared.

So my fuel issue. I ended up taking the hardline from the parts truck and replaced the cracked line in the 6.5, and in order to do so I needed to lift the bed or drop the tank. I decided to drop the tank although halfway through the nut thing on the other side of the strap broke so the bolt decided to just spin. Then I decided to lift the bed, and I ran into an issue. The gooseneck hitch needed to be unbolted which used 1" bolts, and I attempted to remove them but I couldn't, even with a 5 foot pipe to act as a breaker bar. We didn't have an air compressor or power where I was at so that idea wouldn't work either. Then I resorted to unbolting the left side of the bed so I could lift it up just high enough to access the top of the tank and used a hi-lift jack. That trick worked well, although when I went to lower the bed I accidently went up one notch and it kinked my bed. So the bed is toast I'll need to buy another one at some point. It's not lined up with the body lines because I haven't rebolted it to the frame (and probably won't since I'll just be putting a new bed on it).

Oh that push bumper in the background will be going on this truck, I need to make brackets first though.

So, let's move forward to today. I'll just start out with this image that I took on my way to the truck. Keep in mind today is November 6 and Christmas is 8 weeks away.

So I fired the truck right up and ran it for a minute. Then the first thing I replaced was the oil cooler, and then added fresh new 15w-40 oil to the truck (I drained it prior to replacing the oil cooler). Then since everything up front was completed I changed my turn signals in the grille from my previous 98 k1500, and added the front bumper. The truck looks much nicer now!!

So I decided to fix my coolant leak, and I had some rubber hose that I wanted to run from the heater core to the thing under the thermostat, and my plan was to replace it with a nipple (on the second photo, that piece is from the blown up engine), so I went to remove the hard line and the god damn cast piece snapped with the threads still in the coolant piece. I tried doing what I could to remove it but I couldn't. I'll figure out some plan to remove it the next time I go out there.

I still have a list of things I need to do, checklist for later to remind myself:

• Fluid for Transfer Case
  • Front Driveshaft
  • Fix Coolant Leak and fill with Coolant
  • Reinstall Hood
  • Fix wiring for front turn signals
  • Wipers turn on when turning on high beams
But that concludes my update for now. I hate that my truck looks beaterish, but once there is a new bed and paint on it I won't be saying that! Oh and the truck has very very little blowby which is awesome, the old engine had wayyy to much the rings were shot probably 150k ago on that thing. Parts truck will be going away soon, going to haul it to another friends house so he can rob what's left on it for his 89 k1500 RCSB. All I want is the rear axle at this point, the truck served me well!! Looking back, I should have just fixed that truck and drove it and not have even bothered purchasing the k1500 back, but whatever. My fault :D

gstubbz

Reaction score
Nothing really new for this weekend, but I did a few little things.

First was fixing the coolant deal. So I replaced the manifold and cleaned up the area since it looks like crap. Especially inside the block so I'll be changing coolant again in it soon. And I'm happy to say I filled the truck up with coolant and now it doesn't leak! Yeeyee!! And no more "Low Coolant" lights on my dash.

I ran the truck for probably 10ish minutes idling than drove it around the property and no issues. I'm sure the neighbors loved me revving it at 9pm, just due to the fact the crossover pipe isn't completely bolted in yet.

Other minor but significant part: the hood. I ended up waiting until someone was with me to save me some hassle. I had a tarp covering the engine since I stripped down the brown truck but recently one of the crazy ass wind storms hit and my tarp is probably alongside Highway 395 somewhere. And in addition to being protected, I really don't want snow all inside my truck because it's coming soon.

The hood lines up well but the gap is too slim for my liking on the passenger side so I need to adjust it a bit.

Oh the last thing I was able to accomplish that day, which was fill up the NP241 transfer case, and of course I spilled fluid all down my arm, but then after the fact I thought a better idea would be a bucket with a pump but oh well.

Check engine light is still on, and has been since purchasing the truck in March 2015. No idea what it is, maybe something with the vacuum things for the now non-existent EGR and whatnot.

Current under the hood pic. I certainly plan on cleaning it up a bit, looks bad IMO. I also would like to put the "Turbo Power" cover back on and relocate the PMD with the 6ft extension cable I have. The turbo wasn't angled right from when the engine slammed the ground earlier in the summer so I properly aligned the turbo with the intake. The other thing I need to do is purchase a proper 6.5 air filter and reinstall the stock airbox. I've been running it without an air filter and before I really drive it I'd like to have a proper filter!!

That is it for now, next weekend I'll continue on my list of things. Also have been hunting for a new short bed as well but haven't had much luck.

gstubbz

Reaction score
So I was out there for two hours. The wind and rain was pretty terrible so I really didn't do anything to the truck powertrain wise. I did drive it about 3 miles today and it doesn't like to shift from 2nd to third or OD. Reverse works fine. So I need to fix that! The pipe coming from the turbo to drain oil into the oil pan is leaking so I also need to fix that.

Truck however warms up to 190*F and the heater works but only on high, so another thing I need to fix! I also tried to mount the stock airbox back into the truck but the way I have the battery set up I can't (the thing is angled up, when it's in the right spot it hits the battery terminal and shoves the battery back), so I need to figure out a game plan for that. My fault for buying a side post battery earlier this year. Oh well. And you can also see my new heater hose on the nipple by the oil cap.

When I did drive it I went from my friends house to the highway than 1/8 of a mile to a road called Milford Grade, and on my way back I saw a California Highway Patrol, who happened to hit his brakes when he passed me but thank god he kept going. Truck is not insured or registered so that would have been a hefty ticket and the CHPs around here will give you a ticket no matter what.

So, while it was raining outside I decided to start cleaning the interior out. There was oil all over the seats and the carpet is ruined, however after a little time with Tuff Stuff and a brush, everything looked better. I still need to do all of the carpet and touch up some spots on the seats but I ran out of time for that tonight. Tools are all over the passenger floorboard and that seat is only held in with one bolt, I need to fix that soon too lol.

Still no luck finding a bed. I'm looking at $300 more than likely, but I won't worry about it until spring when my friend and I set up a paint booth, so he can paint his 84 k10 and my truck! A stepside would be cool, but not practical, and I think a flatbed on a short bed truck is useless. So, regular bed it is! Oh, no roll pan on the back either, needs a true bumper.

Maybe I'll get to work on the truck again tomorrow. Also might be hauling away the parts 6.5 if I get the okay to use their flatbed trailer. Finally, I can fold out the tow mirrors on my dodge for a reason! When we haul it to a friends house so he can take what's left of it, I'm taking the rear axle out of it. And my other friend wants to take the dash out of it and put it in his 84 k10 as well. He keeps telling me he hates GMT400s although he has owned one but he is putting in a GMT400 dash into his SB. I'll give him **** for that.

Oh, and a photo in proper daylight. Outside of the bed, it needs paint and it'll look badass. Truck has been through a lot!

gstubbz

Reaction score
Another update for this weekend!

So today's plan was to haul the parts truck away and haul the 6.5 to a friend's house that is closer to town (about 20 miles) which I accomplished both.

First was to load up my torch set and using the handy rails I made for the bed I was able to properly secure it. I just wish I had caps for the tanks since I wasn't happy about letting the regulators sit in the elements. Thank goodness it didn't rain or snow where I was at until 7pm, and by then I was hauling the 6.5 back so I didn't have to work in mud or anything.

So when we were out at the trucks we decided to pull the dash and the steering column from the parts truck so my buddy could fab the dash to fit into his k10, and I learned how to properly remove the dash although I cracked it by the speaker grille so that sucks! Since I plan on the interior swap in the future he can hack up this dash to figure out what he needs to do and then he can make sure it's perfect since I'll give him the dash I pull out of the 6.5 whenever I install the other dash. Surprisingly the size of the dash is almost the same exact size as the one in the Dodge, seriously within an inch!

Then here comes the fun part... loading the parts truck on a trailer. Since the 6.5 doesn't have 4WD yet we hooked the trailer up to that and then angled it at such a way I could use the Dodge with a chain to pull the parts truck onto the trailer in one shot. However, because the truck has no steering linkage whatsoever (removed it with the steering box to put on my old 98 k1500 earlier this year), this task was a pain and took an hour to load it onto a trailer. My biggest mistake was loading the truck up without the bed first since all the weight was in the bed (core support, the 6.5 block torn apart, other miscellaneous stuff). Now we only needed to haul it 8 miles down the road, and of course the moment I hit 45mph the trailer started swerving pretty good. At 40mph the truck stayed in line. Luckily I only had to be on the highway with a 70mph speed limit for about 4 miles so it wasn't terrible. At least I was the nice guy that went into the shoulder every time a car was behind me. I also figured I'd flip out my mirrors and man are they awesome! I could see around the trucks on the trailer which was sweet.

Oh, and we yanked the axle from the parts truck. Using a transmission jack, two hi-lifts, two rounds of wood, and my torch, we had that thing out in no time. Buh-bye parts truck! Actually above the Escape 8 miles away is where my trucks used to live. The kid is taking the leaf springs and the rear hitch and maybe a few other little things to put on his 1989 RCSB k1500. Oh big thanks to the guy in the photo, without Tyler this project from earlier this year would have been tough and he has helped a lot. Now I get to help him with his frame off restoration on his 1984 K10 RCLB. This axle is going to go under his truck, and since I'll be buying a pair of Ford axles this won't be of much use to me.

Last but not least, hauling the 6.5 to it's new home. It was dark by 5pm and we started at 9 this morning. Fortunately, the 6.5 drives so that was easy loading it up onto a trailer. I'm also happy to say I could do 60mph without it fishtailing behind me :D I have access to power tools and air tools now so I'm stoked about that. I ended up getting home at 11:30 tonight. Long day!

In total, I drove about 120 miles today. I went out to the truck's old home a total of six times! Talk about ****** gas mileage with a Hemi... but I ended up leaving the tow mirrors out so I'll see how long they stay out before I decide I'm not hauling ghost trailers anymore.

Phew. Time to make it drive and run right then clean it out. Cool thing is the truck is now 5 miles from work rather than 25 so I'll be more willing to work on it, and ultimately finish more things with it.

Last edited:

gstubbz

Reaction score
I'm starting to have daily updates to this thing!

On my lunch break I went out to the truck, and to my surprise Tyler was actually laying underneath it fixing the oil leak on the turbo return line. Now I can say the truck is leak free! He also cleaned up the wiring a bit and located the PMD to the firewall out of the way. Oh he also replaced the engine block ground so the glow plugs work longer than 3 seconds.

Tonight's plan is to move the batteries around so I can reinstall the stock air box once again, paint the cover that says "Turbo Power" with black and red paint, front driveshaft, bolt up the crossover pipe, and I might pull the steering wheel off so I can straighten it. Possibly the door pins/roller on the drivers side, we'll see!

Here is the only pic I took on my lunch break. Unfortunate thing is when I see it in a few hours it'll be dark. You can see the PMD by the hydroboost, I didn't think to take any under the hood pics but I will tonight.

Oh that is an AMC Eagle behind the truck. No wheels on it and was last registered in 2004.

Last edited:

gstubbz

Reaction score
Fixed a few little things tonight, and also spent $81 at NAPA after work as well. Bought some more Tuff Stuff for the carpet, thread locker, red, black, and lime green paint (for skid plates, etc), and an air filter. The computer said they had one in stock which they didn't, so I had them order me one that I'll pick up tomorrow.

I swapped the batteries around so maybe I can fit the stock airbox back on tomorrow, but I really need to find new battery cable terminals for 1GA wire since mine are a bit haggered and once chopped to perfect size I'll have less clutter under the hood. My hope is that the local Tractor Supply has what I need. Another side note, you have to install the front driveshaft before the crossover pipe, no other way to do it since it's in the way. Below is a pic where Tyler mounted up the PMD, and if it ends up getting too hot there I'll relocate it somewhere else.

Oh, Tyler put in an LED bulb in the cab light however that light wouldn't work at all, and I found the CTSY (courtesy lights) 20A fuse was blown. I replaced it and the light worked and it's super bright. I was curious if the cigarette lighter worked and when I went to use it the fuse blew. So just another thing I need to fix. The light wouldn't turn off when the doors were closed so I just removed the little pieces in the door that tell the truck when the door is closed since they were both broken. I'll replace them at some point. My headliner is also wrecked so a new one will be in the plans eventually. The glass sitting on the seat came from the parts truck; they have a black tint rather than a mirrored finish like the ones currently on the truck, so those will be swapped at some point in time too.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Another update for today, and actually got quite a bit done in my 45 minute lunch break.

Painted the "Turbo Power" cover black, and I'll use red (or maybe lime green) to paint the letters once I find a razor blade to mask it. I think it'll look great!

Also bolted up the crossover pipe, installed the front driveshaft, fixed a leak coming from the oil filter adapter, installed the factory air box and my $31 air filter.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Another update on this thing! So today I finally was able to make it start after replacing the ground cables and making sure everything was tight. I still have the issue with the parking lights on unless I pull the fuse so that's something I still need to fix.

Here is the engine bay with the painted Turbo Power cover! Ended up going with green which will be the theme in the engine bay. At some point I need to replace the rubber hoses from the IP to the T valve for the fuel and when I take the intake off I'll clean it and paint it green.

And my friend who works at a junkyard has dealer/dismantler plates for the weekend so I happily used them today! The truck is in limp mode still, so I bought a new speed sensor (which was $70) so I'll replace that tomorrow and see if I can drive in another gear besides 2nd. I didn't get too many looks today surprisingly, but I will say this thing smokes like the old engine did which I can deal with! The turbo whistle is also awesome, haven't driven a diesel with a turbo since my accident when I drove my dad's dodge for a minute.

Pick N Pull also has a 50% off sale and all seats are $15, so I'm going there tomorrow and hopefully I can find some 95+ seats with the fold down center console, then I'll be happy!