1994 Chev K1500 6.5 TD ECSB - Junkyard Rescue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I'm a bit bummed too, but it was just falling apart. The dash swap was a terrible idea and the transmission issue was just killing me and breaking my love with it. I could not get it to work and by that point I was over the truck.

I like my new Red Chevy a whole lot more and it's practical for what I need (granted it needs another engine right now). If I kept the 6.5 it would have got a SM465 or a NV4500 and a paint job, but I'm just over it. I spent so much money on the grey truck and I only got to drive it a total of 4ish miles myself since the engine swap last summer. For less time and money I was able to clock a few hundred miles on the red truck. Then again I busted out that engine swap quickly!

Here's an update on the Tow Truck that came to get it, it's some 6.9 or 7.3 IDI Ford Super Duty, and they came Friday night to come get it. Their tow truck didn't work (I personally blame it on being a Ford!) so they had to leave without the truck but the title is in his hands and is 100% no longer mine. They are going to come get it at some point within the next week.

You must be registered for see images attach

And that 3500HD, I posted the same photo to the 88-98 truck page on Facebook and received lots of thumbs up to buy it and build a truck out of it. @thz71 commented with a photo of his 3500HD as did several others and numerous comments with how rare a crew cab HD is. Whenever I get a chance I'll go look at it a little more up close (and take more photos) which may be this weekend or next weekend and see if we can work out a deal. The fun part will be getting it to Doyle which is 76 miles away from where the junkyard is located, and supposedly it doesn't have any rear tires or rims now.

Every single window needs to be replaced, and it's missing the front door handles. So I'm hoping I could pick it up for a few hundred bucks but I honestly don't know. Interior has been sitting in the weather but I would like to make it black, power windows, 2015+ Silverado tow mirrors, 8.1L Vortec; Duramax; or a Cummins swap, and newer black chevy cloth or leather seats. That would be a project that would take years to finish if I do buy that thing, but my ultimate goal would be a flatbed or a sneaker lift so I could haul vehicles or whatever trailer I want and feel comfortable driving cross country in it if I had to. For being 19 I want my dream truck and have no funds to build it! A 4WD conversion would be cool although I really don't want it to be stupid tall if it's going to be hauling trailers all the time. So I would stick to 2WD and use my red truck as the lifted truck to drive around whenever I get to the planned SAS on that. My Dodge is the nice truck that I really don't want to tear up.

The other thing I forgot to add, I actually bought a bed for this truck too a few weeks ago. Now I just have no use for it since the red truck is a long bed and I have different plans for the 3500HD.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Another little update on this thing. I drove to the junkyard so I could drop off the bed and transmission that were included in the deal, and the 6.5 is still on the tow truck as you can see in the background.

And a little more about that 3500HD since I actually looked at it today. It's indeed a 1996 was a 6.5, and needs a whole lot of work. The guy told me he would talk to his son about it tonight and call me tomorrow letting me know what he wants for it. I helped the guy out with his computer today so I'm hoping that will net me a better deal. He asked if I had anything to trade but the last thing I had to trade was the 6.5! Or unless he is into Apple computers, I have several of them.

Has 5.13 gears (apparently only 407 MY1996 trucks had 5.13s), and was built in Janesville WI. Looks like only 5,881 HD trucks were built that year if anyone was curious.

A little more on the history of that truck. A guy bought it, put a service bed on it, took it to the scales and it was overweight so they took the chevy to the junkyard and put the service bed on a F550. Only thing wrong with the truck was it had busted out windows when it arrived. Now it needs a bunch of ****.

Pics! If I do end up with it I am stripping it all down and out. A good idea would be to find a late model suburban so I can get all the interior pieces and doors I need (I want power windows in this thing). A 454 vortec suburban with the engine still in it would be a good start.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Another super funny thing... so I know for a fact I had seen a black crew cab 3500HD in Reno once before (like a year or two ago)... I was next to it at a light and thought it was a 3500HD with a cummins.

Sure enough, there is a guy who owns a crew cab HD with a cummins in Reno.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Whoa.

i just went through and read this story from start to finish. Man there were ups, there were downs, laughs, and tears. Crazy to see it end the way it did, just poof sold. But i have owned a few projects and sell or trade them at a moments notice so i get it. After reading this i realize now i had read some of your tale on the red truck the other day. I really need to start keeping up with my build thread these days, it's just been very slow going so far.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man I was with this thread from Day 1. You're a hero for doing what you did, hell we're the same age and I couldn't even fathom doing all that right now. This thread makes me really appreciate my truck and these trucks in general. Mine is at home safely tucked away in the garage while I'm at college. I hope it'll be in the family long after I'm gone. I'll still check up on the rest of your builds, but thanks for the ride on this one!

gstubbz

Reaction score
Whoa.

i just went through and read this story from start to finish. Man there were ups, there were downs, laughs, and tears. Crazy to see it end the way it did, just poof sold. But i have owned a few projects and sell or trade them at a moments notice so i get it. After reading this i realize now i had read some of your tale on the red truck the other day. I really need to start keeping up with my build thread these days, it's just been very slow going so far.

Thank you! This 6.5 was one hell of a project. With my friend moving away this truck was sitting on the property so I figured it was a good time to sell it since at this point all I was doing was robbing parts to put on my red truck and it would probably continue to rot out at Tyler's new house. The red truck I have plans for but then again it may sell in a moments notice! I like your build thread so update it more! RCLBs that are lowered isn't too common and I dig them!

You sir, are a glutton for punishment. And I admire it lol

I am one to get myself involved in too many things! I like taking on challenges, truck projects are like girls, you can only take so much **** from them before you give up lol. But the crew cab I really want to build up, it's a better platform than all my light duty stuff and is a crew cab like I've always wanted!

Man I was with this thread from Day 1. You're a hero for doing what you did, hell we're the same age and I couldn't even fathom doing all that right now. This thread makes me really appreciate my truck and these trucks in general. Mine is at home safely tucked away in the garage while I'm at college. I hope it'll be in the family long after I'm gone. I'll still check up on the rest of your builds, but thanks for the ride on this one!

My girlfriend reads this build thread and she wanted me to tell you that she is mad you're trying to take her #1 fan status! And she said fight me!

It all started over two years ago, I'm happy to hear that you were reading it this entire time! I guess the only reason I was able to do so much is I didn't have a girlfriend to eat all my time so I had time for these projects. Now I have a girlfriend and all my time is dedicated to that relationship. I love GMT400 trucks, they are by far the best damn trucks in existence! Glad to hear that yours is tucked away, keep it nice and keep it forever! I wish I could have kept my 98 but that truck needed quite a bit of work as well and a bent frame was the killer for me. And thank you for looking at my other builds! I hope to have a build thread started on this future c3500HD once the title is in my hand! Also, you made me spend 20 minutes reading my build thread all over again!

Last edited: