1993 K1500 350 auto - 1/2 feel like they are slipping, OK in D... doesn't hold going downhill in 1/2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymtnlover

Reaction score
I'll start to search old threads too but any advice would be appreciated. I leave for hunting trip on Wed and this came up while out scouting today...

1/2 won't go up a hill... when on flat ground revs increase to 4-5K but vehicle speed might be only ~ 5-10 mph...

When going down a hill in 1 or 2 it feels the same as in D, no compression braking... I used to be able to put into 4L, 1 on a steep downhill and it would crawl...

Not sure if this might have something to do with it:

When doing some exhaust work I noticed a 3 wire plug on the driver's of the trans... 2 of the wires were burned / almost broken. I removed the connector and spliced the wires together with a solder connector... I'll inspect the connections but am wondering if I might have messed something up with the TC lockup??

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Torque converter clutch has NOTHING to do with lack of engine braking in manual 1 and 2. Also has NOTHING to do with slipping in 1--2. Kinda surprised that it's OK in "D".

First Guess: Your trans is broken, it needs a complete rebuild, and you're not going to get it back from the shop by Wednesday. But I've been wrong before.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So basically it won't go into second is what I'm understanding based on OP's description?

If it's revving to 5k on flat ground and speed is 5-10 mph who cares what it does trying to go uphill, or downhill for that matter!!!???

Maybe the 2-4 band is burned up?

Sounds like truck needs to be taken to a good transmission shop or time for a rebuilt unit getting swapped by OP.

Last edited: