1991 K2500 SAS death wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody ever deal with a real bad DW with 12 bolt military wheels and MTs? Rode like a dream with SRW hubs and 2" spacers for my 12 bolt wheels. Got rid of the hubs and spacers for DRW hubs and boom, death wobble up the waz. Been replacing bad parts left and right. New king pins, crossover, tie rod, bearings, brakes, axle u joints. Read up on caster vs offset and would like some input on this. Just aligned the toe but caster may need adjustment. Only happens between 20 and 40 mph. Specs are for factory ifs truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

GaryCCR

OnlyBodyStyle enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but have the wheels/tires been balanced?

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, just installed new tires (2nd set since this problem started) with balance bags, first set had beads. SRW with spacers was hub centric, when DRW swapped the centers were machined out for hub center, and when I swapped GM DRW outers on with new king pins I lost the hub center and am now running lug centric. No difference in wobble.

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to mention the was no problem with the first set before swapping hubs

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the first thing I checked. Balance was good with the old set and balanced the new set I just put on a month ago. I was reading up on the pirate forum and saw a few threads saying caster and offset can cause this. Everything else in the front end either checks out or is new. I just don't know how severely that can affect it. It's bad enough it feels like its about to shake the frame apart and settles down or goes away around corners or with hard braking or acceleration. Can't drive smooth at 30 but it drives just fine at 60

iridektm

Reaction score
Have you swapped the SRW hubs back on to see if the problem is eliminated? With everything you have done seems like the problem could be the hubs. Are the bearing races seated properly? Spindle nuts/locks in good shape? Hubs new or used? Bent hubs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the third set of hubs. Went from ford SRW to ford DRW then just recently GM DRW outers. New king pins, bearings, races, seals, u joints, tires, shocks, tie rods, drag link, gear box. Got it gone almost entirely by getting rid of my Humvee wheels and running duallys up front. That much offset must've kicked it out from the KPI and messed with the steering a bit too much

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Offset won't change KPI, but it will affect scrub. That's likely your issue. I think 3" is your max, it can be easy to exceed with big wheels on a lifted rig.

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah kicked the center of the tire out too far from kpi, guess too much scrub would've been easier to say but the word escaped me.