Drooly Dooly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beeffajitas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there, I've been lurking on here for awhile, figured it was time to post up my truck.

It's a 1999 K3500 DRW CCLB L29 truck. I bought it in Feb 2014. I had a 1999 K1500 that was on its way out, so I was keeping an eye open for something else on CL. This thing came up. It used to be a construction truck in Maine. The previous owner, who bought it off the construction company, said the truck had sat for a while due to the engine not running well. He picked it up for a song, did some work, found another truck, and decided to sell this. Part of the work was building a wood bed. It's kinda redneck, but it works. I picked it up for $2200.

The name comes from this guy. He drools a lot. The truck is a dually. Drooly Dooly, get it?

You must be registered for see images attach

Here it is, you can see the K1500 in the back left.

The engine wasn't running good and after some research, I found out about the GM injectors. After 190k miles, a supposed re-engine at 135k, it still had the original injectors. The #6 spark plug was caked in soot. The heat shield over the cats in totally gone. I wouldn't be surprised if the matrix in the cats was a puddle. I did injectors, plugs, wires, all fluids, pulled the interior apart to clean, etc. Luckily, it just fits in my shop.

In early 2015, I started getting a death wobble. The original riveted ball joints were still in the upper arms, so I figured it was time for a front end rebuild. As I was taking things apart, I found this.

You must be registered for see images

If you haven't checked that spot, do it! It's a low spot in the frame with no drain holes and with the bolt sleeves inside the frame, a bunch of crap was packed in there. I couldn't leave it, so I did this.

And this.

I'm fortunate to have a steel shop near me and the owner will sell me whatever I want for near cost. I bought a 3x4 sheet of 10g for $30(?, I think). I don't have any finished product pictures, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to tell anything had been done unless I pointed it out. Nothing has cracked yet and it got a perfect alignment afterward.

Everything in the front end got sand-blasted, painted, and all replaceable parts were replaced.

The next issue was the tires. There were two different types and the rears were toast. The wheels were all mismatched too. I'm assuming I have a couple fords or dodges mixed in. I ordered new Pro-Comp AT in 235/85R16 and some new Accuride 16x6 wheels. Don't ask me why, but I've had a thing for blaze orange lately (maybe because I have a Kubota), and I like contrast, so I decided to paint the wheels Kubota Orange. Somewhere in there I also painted the bed black. I got sick of the red.

This last summer I rebuilt the rear axle. The truck shook a lot and I figured out that the right rear hub was wobbling. After everything was taken apart, it actually looked with the hub got dropped so the outer edge was mushroomed out, pushing out the wheels and drum. I picked up a junk yard axle, stripped it, sandblasted it, painted it, new bearing, new gears, and a TrueTrac diff got installed.

Here it is after blasting and phosphating.

Here's the truck during the swap.

Everything in the back is brand new. Springs, brakes, shocks, etc. It's riding pretty good right now. However, after sitting for a few months, it picked up a misfire. After chasing a few things, I think the injectors are gummed up. We're stuck with E10 fuel here in New England and I've had some other power equipment get ******* up with it. After the new year, I'll pull the injectors and get them cleaned.

Oh, I also did the 411 swap this past year and had it dyno tuned. It made 225/330 at the wheels. Probably not bad for a big heavy drivetrain.

So, plans for this thing... I have two spare motors sitting in my shop. I want to have one rebuilt with a decent cam. Headers, good exhaust and another tune. I'd like to see what the L29 can do with a few basic things. I'd also like to swap a NV4500 into it.

The cab needs to be pulled at some point, minor rust fixed, etc. I'd love to sand blast the frame and give it a good coat of paint. Most of the frame is good, and I mean good, not just good for a New England truck. I'd hate to see it rot apart before I can do anything about it.

Here's another pic of the dog and my other project.

And one of me goofing off at my buddies house.

Beeffajitas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I would post a quick update. Motor is out of the truck. As I mentioned in my first post, I think the truck was re-powered at some point and the guy who did it should be punched in the face. I was chasing a misfire and after finding lots of things wrong, my buddy and I decided to pull the motor and set everything right. I'm going to re-seal the entire motor, comb over the engine harness, and install a new exhaust.

I wasn't sure where else to post this, but I saw that a 8.1L Suburban put down 234HP/340ft-lb to the wheels. The 454 is not far from that, with a tune.

Also, anyone have a NV4500 they can sell me? I can't find a single one here in New England.

I'm having trouble getting the pictures to post, I'll come back later and fix it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My frame is rusting up by my steering box. I noticed it several years ago.

I like the bed on your truck. I don't normally like non-oem fixes for a rotted out bed.

I'm going to have to check my rear axle. I've noticed that either the axle bounces, or the frame flexes quite often while going down a smooth road.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to re-seal the entire motor, comb over the engine harness, and install a new exhaust.

I wasn't sure where else to post this, but I saw that a 8.1L Suburban put down 234HP/340ft-lb to the wheels. The 454 is not far from that, with a tune.
If you're looking to have a motor with more balls, you should consider a cam. The factory cam is retarded 12* to help with emissions and increase torque. The timing retardation is built into the timing set, so a generic replacement would set the cam right. Then getting some more air in there would be good. The stock heads are good for .500" lift without machining, but most 454 guys I've seen that want power without boring/crank/valve mods go with a ZZ502 cam and machine the valve guides down for clearance. I believe Comp makes everything you'd need to do this and keep the stock valve covers.
From what i've read and collected from the old 454 thread on FSC, this is what the guys used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00062YRK...olid=3CRICOAA72NIV&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00062YEF...olid=3CRICOAA72NIV&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Also, I'm not sure what your dyno guy did, but I'd be curious if he ever even touched the power enrichment mode on the 0411. I've been doing a lot of tuning of my own with HP tuners. My motor almost runs like it's carb'd now and gets all the gas it wants.

What injectors did you put in place of the factory stuff? Ford yellow-tops? LS1 26lb-ers? Are you running a .060" gap or .050"?

Beeffajitas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A cam in is in the plan, but I need to take care of the misfire first.

The tuner did change the PE. Factory delay is almost 5s, so it almost never comes in.

I have the ford injectors.

Beeffajitas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick update... hopefully I can get the photos working this time...

I found a MT8 NV4500 with swap parts. For any New England folks, check out J. Perry Garage on the facial books. Good guy and he breaks GMT400's exclusively.

I figured out the pics this time, so here's the two from the previous post.

If anyone wants to trade 92-94 clutch pedal for 95-98 pedal, let me know.