1991 k1500... v6 to v8, some suspension questions regarding general components

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a 1991 stepside v6 converted to a 350 v8 and have a few general questions.
The truck is a supposed original v6 Z71, I was unaware that was an option?

What are the similarities/differences between the 4.3l suspension and say a v8 step side short box?

Control arms same?
Spring/shock differences?
Sway bars, ball joints, tie rods, sway bars, everything I should be aware of essentially.
When I go to purchase parts are there any parts that are 4.3 specific?

Also side question, are all brake components, lines, etc the same aswell?

The truck seems to sit a smidge lower than a stock v8, so I am just looking for some information.

I could not find much information on this topic.
thank you for all help.

TerrySmith

Reaction score
If you have a true Z-71 it will appear on the SPID tag in the glove box. All suspension and brake parts are the same except possibly the front spring / torsion bar rates needed for the lighter V6.

There is a proper procedure for adjusting ride height, just DON'T turn those bolts in all the way and call it "raised"!

Reaction score
I'm not sure if someone has the time for this or can just mention some of the things worth noting, also if it mentions Z71...
Here is my spid tag, is there somewhere else I can get this information off the vehicle? Or Is it after this wears off, its pretty much gone for ever?

You must be registered for see images attach

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do a google search for GM RPO codes and it'll pull up a list of what each code means. For example, GU6 is a 3.42 rear axle. I don't see Z71 on the label, codes should be listed alphabetically so it probably should be before ZHN but some look hard to read. I've heard that the parts department at a dealer can print off your truck's RPO codes if you give them the VIN.

Last edited: