1990 tbi k1500 to 2003 5.3 swap... need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

llorracs93s10

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well old 5.7 blew a head gasket so why not pull it out for a ls motor. Here's the run down and what I have. I know I need a lot of help so hopefully you guys can set me straight.

I've got a 5.3 from a 03 Tahoe it was a dbw but we are converting to a cable. I already have the swap pretty much bought except for the cable. I have the wiring harness being shipped from psi conversion to adapt my 5.3 to.my 700r4. I bought the Hughes performance spacer but am not sure if I need the longer bolts. If so anyone have a link?

Next order of business I bought the 1 inch set back plates so I know that will work fine. I know I'm going to have to notch frame for AC which I had done for the s10. So as for mounting the motor in the rails I'm good. Heres where I'm getting confused. Fuel. I'm truing to not have to replace all lines but want to make sure its safe to drive daily without a line bursting or whatever.

I know I'm going with a upgraded pump in tank but other than that I'm lost. I'm pretty sure my fuel rails are returnless since I have one line opening driver side going to the rear of the truck.

So stating that, what do I need to.do to get the fuel situation wrapped up? I've seen people do.adapter fittings but I'm.just completely confused at this point. And being returnless do I.need to do the vette filter?

Complete newb here do please take it easy! Lol. Pictures will be posted as soon as I.can get on my computer and not my smart phone.

Thanks again. Justin

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i would ask around on thhirdgen.org honestly, i remember seeing that asked there before and theres a few ls guys that can telly ou straight, i dont think you will worst case scenario call hughes and ask them. you should have a return if you have a tbi. you can use any filter you want as long as it bolts up or like you said use some fttings and make it fit. i would personall figure out what fittings you need buy some braided hose and run that from the hardlines and just cut the hardlines back a little.

llorracs93s10

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to put going stainless steel.lines as a last resort. Trying to do this on a budget but doing it right. I have another ls motor going into my Monte Carlo and am going with ss flex lines but I.do.not want to.spend that type.of.money if I don't have to..

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
youll say you want to keep it on a budget but honestly if your not into half assing stuff then thatll never happen. i did a 5.3 swap on my 92 rs and i sunk way more money into it that my original plan said for. regardless youll have to do something different with lines even if you cut the heads and bends off by the throttle body and run some rubber hose with hose clamps.

llorracs93s10

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean I've seen multiple people using adapter fittings to the stock lines, I wanted to.go that route but I'm confused what I would need.

llorracs93s10

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm.pretty sure it was fittings from the old fuel.line to adapt to the rails on the motor. Than depending on if the stock fuel filter doesn't need changing or not, fittings for the vette filter. If I went with next ss flexible lines I'd need more fittings so that way is expensive. Again not doing it as a hack at all I just have read about people using stock lines and adapter fittings to the rails but I am not sure what fittings or what not. Kinda on a time crunch since its my daily driver so waiting on fittings is one thing I don't want to do.