1990 Chevy 454 SS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 1990 454 SS. It was totaled and somebody fixed it up, but they put a step side on it, rally wheels, and painted it like a maroon. So I'm restoring it, back to mostly close to original. The only big thing I'm going to eventually swap out it the trans. I want to put a 4L80E in it.

Here's my question. What can I do to improve performance with a mostly stock set up (I'm throwing long tube headers on it.)? TBI mods? Tuning? Chips? Breathability, Etc, etc.

I am considering electric fans too.

I've looked at Jegs and Summit and they have very little after market upgrades for that truck. So any real info about them and OEM style upgrades would be very helpful.

I want to take this thing and make people think that this is a nice original truck but I want to squeeze what ever power and extra MPG that I can out of it.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Glad you're restoring the 454SS! Love those trucks, would love to drive one someday. :D

For the 4l80E installation, I have read you have to modify the cross member and you have to, IIRC, reprogram the computer to read right to get the shifting correct, since the 4l80E shifts a little different than the 4l60E. I have also read on this forum that some people do not recommend TBI chips. I do not know about electric fans, I would also like to know this as well, thought about installing an electric fan on my truck as well in the future. With the headers, you will probably have better flowing exhaust.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as performance goes there's not alot of potential with the factory tbi setup. Most guys end up swapping over to a carb.
A really nice kit that will wake it up nicelynis the trick flow or edelbrock top end packages. They include heads, cam, intake. They really bring our motors to life.

Or you can just build a new motor all together, do a stroker kit some aftermarket heads. That's what I did. Hopefully have some dyno numbers this spring.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe you'll need a programmer for the 4l80. I'm assuming it has a 400 in it now? The stock 230 hp they made was embarrassing by any standards, as cool as they were. I'm not an engine builder but I would have to do something about the most anemic bb ever made. Would try to keep the TBI though as you're going for a stock restore, which I love by the way. Tbi's can be tuned with the right setup (moates ebl comes to mind). I wouldn't carb swap, I feel like it's a step backwards. I would do an aftermarket throttle body before I did that. Just my .02

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want a 4l80e, why not pull a vortec 7.4 with 4l80e out of a truck with the harness and computer, then cam swap that or just have it tuned. You'll have a big jump in power, all the benefits of obd2 and efi, more modding options, and no programming to figure out for the 4l80.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want a 4l80e, why not pull a vortec 7.4 with 4l80e out of a truck with the harness and computer, then cam swap that or just have it tuned. You'll have a big jump in power, all the benefits of obd2 and efi, more modding options, and no programming to figure out for the 4l80.
What that guy said. Would probably be the most cost effective way to achieve your goals. Though it would not look original under the hood.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Probably the best option.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have seen some pretty good number using the edelbrock efi tbi upgrade. On a 5.7 it made an additional 58 horsepower. That particular truck had headers exhaust and a K&N. I have a 92G20 hightop van. I was big time into it. Into finding more power and more mpg. I saw that the 454 saw HUGE improvements on mpg and the torque curve. The biggest problem with the 454 is the cam. All the mags that have done 454 builds do edelbrock cam and roller. Rockers. Easy way to get 330 hp close. To. 500tq. I did a 4L80E install into my truck instead of a Nv4500. All factory stuff. But get a prom out of a 92? Or newer that had a 454 & 4L80E combo and get the harness (motor&trans) I did research a lot on how to convert my truck. Good luck