1990 454ss upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artomatic

Reaction score
hey I am now working on my ss and would like to beef up the engine I rebuilt trans last year with upgrades and would like to do the same to the 7.4 .. I'm thinking vortec heads -cam-timing gears ..,, any comments or list of parts I should consider- buy or take a look at would be greatly appreciated...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Could be wrong but I think you're looking at attempting to mix generations on the TBI 7.4 vs. Vortec 7.4; I do not believe those heads swap on. Again, could be wrong.

Richard

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Could be wrong but I think you're looking at attempting to mix generations on the TBI 7.4 vs. Vortec 7.4; I do not believe those heads swap on. Again, could be wrong.

Richard

They can swap on. But many people run into coolant leak issues. There is a felpro head gasket specific for the swap. But my understanding it only reduces the likelihood. The problem is with the block casting. However there are many people who claim to have no problems. So it seems to be luck of the draw.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What do you do for an intake with those heads?

Honestly the potential for coolant leaks would scare me off immediately. Screw having any engine, but especially a big block, without a 100% sealed up tight cooling system.

Richard

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Intake pattern has never changed on the 454. I'm running an edelbrock squarebore intake on my 454 with vortec heads on my truck.

But yes, between the Gen IV and Mark V+ engines they changed the cooling ports on the heads. You'd probably be better off buying aftermarket heads for your generation of block TBH.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
The weight savings alone on going aluminum heads is worth it.

And Richard is right, coolant leaks, icck

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
As far as I know through research of wanting to do the same thing, You can make the vortec heads work on a Gen V block, and I have seen no one do it on a mark IV block. also quite a bit of work needs to be done to them as they have small valves, they dont have adjustable valvetrain and the swirl dam in the heads are pretty restrictive. the only advantage stock is the closed chamber head, raises compression on a tbi motor and its debatable across the web if they flow better due to the swirl dam and the shrouding of the exhaust valve.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/0510st-1996-chevy-truck-vortec-big-block/#photo-26

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/0512st-1996-chevy-dually-cylinder-heads-roller-cam/