1988 K2500 5.7 NP241C remove and replace transfer case with engine and transmission installed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grady

Reaction score
I need to swap my transfer case but trying to keep it as simple as possible. I don't want to mess with the torsion bar cross member if possible. Does this belong in the transfer case stupid question thread? Thanks.

Grady

Reaction score
That's good news. Just unbolt the big u-bolt that goes around the tailpiece at the torsion bar x-member? It looks like I'll have to remove the transmission x-member in order to lower the trans enough to get at the top bolts to the transfer case. Sound right?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's good news. Just unbolt the big u-bolt that goes around the tailpiece at the torsion bar x-member? It looks like I'll have to remove the transmission x-member in order to lower the trans enough to get at the top bolts to the transfer case. Sound right?
Yep. Stick a trans jack underneath the transmission so you dont stress the motor mounts once the rear trans x member is out of the way. then r/r the tcase.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I have removed many T cases and never had to jack up the transmission to get them out. A stubby wrench is your friend. Drain the T case, Unhook the wiring harness and remove the drive shaft. Remove the the T case shift linkage and the 6 bolts that hold the T case to the adapter. Then slide it back off from the shaft and turn it 90 degrees and down it comes.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have removed many T cases and never had to jack up the transmission to get them out. A stubby wrench is your friend. Drain the T case, Unhook the wiring harness and remove the drive shaft. Remove the the T case shift linkage and the 6 bolts that hold the T case to the adapter. Then slide it back off from the shaft and turn it 90 degrees and down it comes.
You don't have to jack up the transmission, but if you plan on removing the X member, it's a good idea for stability...If the transfer case bolts are readily accessible without the trans x member in the way, such that it can be left alone then a trans jack isn't needed (obviously). I'm always thinking in terms of removing the transmission so despite what the OP stated, is probably why I mentioned having a trans jack handy....