Transfer case removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of the Vortec section of the Engine forum, and into either Transmissions or Transfer Cases.

Sure. How big is your transmission jack? Gonna be heavy, bulky, and hard to manage.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the K2500 HD frame proportionally different from a LD frame underneath? I put my 4L60E + NP241C in my K2500 LD in as one piece no problem without touching the suspension.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was watching a video of some removing both and he did them separately, so I was just curious. Anyone know about the skid plate under there, does it have bolts with nuts on top?

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everything under the truck is bolts pretty much. Get under there and start turning them. You might want some medium size wrenches, 20-24mm type stuff.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to know Komet. I was trying plan ahead so this is helpful. Thanks everyone.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Komet. Turns out I couldnt feel the nuts on the topside of the skid plate because of the 3 inches of crud and grime under there , haha.

On a differnt topic has anyone ever broke this stud off when trying to unbolt the neutral safety switch (i think that is what it's called) from the transmission? Can it be replaced because I messed mine up.

You must be registered for see images attach

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It comes out of the transmission like this. So wondering if it can be replaced.
You must be registered for see images attach