2nd transfer case cracked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macs Garage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 GMC K2500, 5.7L, 4l80e, np241c. This summer my transfer case broke around the front output shaft when I got stuck pulling my boat out of the lake.i bought a used one and rebuilt it. Now the rebuild one broke while plowing snow in the same place. The front driveshaft u-joint had also thrown a bearing cup at the transfer case. What could be causing this?

Macs Garage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer my own question. Front drive shaft slid back and forth by hand easily. When I took it apart it was full of metal slivers and probably binding under load. The shop I am taking it to said they have seen this happen before and it pushes against the transfer case. They will put a used transfer case I am providing in for $400. I rebuilt the last one and put in myself. Kinda sucked without a hoist.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to the Transfer Case section of the forum.

I've had various problems with U-joints. They absolutely do not last forever.

I've gotten to the point where if I can get a suitable joint, I install the ones that don't have a grease zerk. The caps get loaded with quality chassis grease, stuffed into place assuring that the joint flexes easily/properly, and then I leave 'em the hell alone for as long as possible.

They tend to last longer than the joints with zerks--I think that there's dirt around the zerk that gets forced into the joint when they're greased.

The most-recent U-joint work I did was on an aluminum driveshaft. Aluminum driveshafts need "special" U-joints, that is, U-joints with coated caps to prevent corrosion between the steel cap and the aluminum yoke. I could not find a coated U-joint that didn't have a grease zerk, so I cleaned the joint, installed my usual chassis grease, installed the joint so the zerk is under compression when moving forward, and now I just pretend that there's no zerk.

The sliding splines you mention have not given me any issues, but I have seen them on other folks' vehicles, very worn-out, to the point that they show excess play--I can push the shaft up and down at the splines, which has got to be REALLY bad for driveshaft balance.

Last edited: