Transfer case removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
@ Komet, That is good to know. Had me worried.

I probably won't get to it for a little bit but do you know where I could get a replacement? Do you think that is something I can find on summit or jeggs and do you know what I would call it to search for it?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's probably going to be a treasure yard part. If I remember right, you have to pull the valve body to get the shift shaft in or out.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of the Vortec section of the Engine forum, and into either Transmissions or Transfer Cases.

Sure. How big is your transmission jack? Gonna be heavy, bulky, and hard to manage.
I should have mentioned I already had the engine out. I did manage to pull the transmission and transfer case as one unit using my floor jack and a piece of 2x4.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's probably going to be a treasure yard part. If I remember right, you have to pull the valve body to get the shift shaft in or out.
I actually see that they sell the shift shaft at Summit so that's convenient. From what I can tell Erik you are correct. Looks like I'll need to pull the valve body to replace it. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
for those wondering, no the tcase will not come out or in separately at least on the 4l80e and borg warner case in a 92 k3500. I dropped a new engine and tranny in together from up top, then went under to do the case and no way. cant clear the output shaft. so i removed the bolts on the engine mounts to frame and slit the engine and trans forward a few inches and case went right in. my torsion adjuster and xmember had some rust so i didnt want to broach that.