1987 Chevy R20 3+3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Yeah I kinda didn't want it to turn into a big project, but that's life. The good thing is I've been able to do all the work myself so far, so I'm really only loosing time. Gaining experience though which is always a good thing. I only have a few hundred dumped into it so far, but the way I see it is I have to spend $5 to fix it, I can spend $10 to make it better.

The coil spacers are made of aluminum, so I think they might compress a little after driving it around.

I also got a TBI hat from a 90 seville 4.5 v8. I'm going to use a 3.5" cone filter with it and get rid of the old holley filter. I picked up a low mile TBI unit from a wrecked 95 tahoe without very much slop in it. The throttle shaft on this truck is wobbly af and is probably giving bad vacuum readings to the map sensor.

You must be registered for see images attach

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
almost finished with the serp belt conversion. I think the only thing left I need is the adapter for the alternator plug.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
truck's looking good. Not half assed at all :anitoof: IF it doesn't settle enough, you could always throw a small block in the back to level it up

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Yeah I kinda didn't want it to turn into a big project, but that's life. The good thing is I've been able to do all the work myself so far, so I'm really only loosing time. Gaining experience though which is always a good thing. I only have a few hundred dumped into it so far, but the way I see it is I have to spend $5 to fix it, I can spend $10 to make it better.

The coil spacers are made of aluminum, so I think they might compress a little after driving it around.

I also got a TBI hat from a 90 seville 4.5 v8. I'm going to use a 3.5" cone filter with it and get rid of the old holley filter. I picked up a low mile TBI unit from a wrecked 95 tahoe without very much slop in it. The throttle shaft on this truck is wobbly af and is probably giving bad vacuum readings to the map sensor.

You think an aluminum spacer is going to change shape?

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
You think an aluminum spacer is going to change shape?

The way the spacer is shaped it's probably going to compress a little over time, but I'm just guessing.

Got the radiator in and started it up. Purrs like a kitten and no leaks yet.

Last thing it needs is the adapter for the alternator plug that I ordered today.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
I got an alternator plug adapter for it.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
So now I had to figure out why the brakes suck. The pedal is hard as a rock and has little change when the engine is running.

I did a vacuum leak down test on the booster and I could only pull about 4 inches out of it with my little hand operated vacuum pump. The vacuum booster had a some rust on it from a previous M/C leak, so assuming it was broken, I threw that crap in the trash. :rofl:

In comes hydroboost.

For some reason I thought ordering a reman'd hydroboost for an 3/4 ton diesel was going to work. I thought maybe I'd get lucky and get one with the firewall bracket in the box. Advance ordered 2 of them and neither had the firewall bracket (they usually don't) then I remembered that the reman is missing other parts besides the bracket; so I scrapped that idea, got my $200 back and went to the junkyard.

I got this baby from a 2002 express 3500 van for $45.

hmm

hmmmmm

I ground off the rivets

aww yiss! My hunch was right. The vacuum boosters are probably exactly the same for either truck, they just have different mounts on the back. My '87 uses a spacer with rivets, but has the same 4 bolt (3.5" by 3-3/8" roughly bolt pattern) as the express van that uses studs and mounts flat to the firewall. I would guess the GMT400 has the same pattern too.