1500 to 2500 possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Is it possible to convert my front end to the 2500 front end, I want this for a few reasons. the 2500 front diff has a locker available for it the 1500 has no such beast. I can get a complete donor truck for a good price. I understand I will need the lca's and either 8lug hubs or the 6lug hubs from a heavy half, along with cv shafts and possibly the drive shaft. If i have to cut and/or weld the mounting for the larger diferential I will be ok with that (to a point)
I'm womndering if this is something anyone has done or thought about doing or if it is even possibly (i cant see why not)
thanks

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It has been done, or atleast attempted, not sure if I have seen the end post of it being done. From reading the post there is ALOT of work and by no means an easy swap. I think it was GMfullsize I seen it attempted??
I did read at one time that the H2 or H3 hummers come with a cast 8.25" front diff with a factory e-locker, never investigated it to much though.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Easiest way to do it is with an SAS. Dana 60 front and 14 bolt FF rear, 1 ton springs and youll be way over what a 1 ton can actually haul......only problem, you can legally haul anymore because the truck is listed as a 1/2 ton.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
For the time/money, just do an SAS. I have a 6 lug 44 and ORU kit I'll likely be selling soon...... Looks like I'm going with IFS.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
the only problem with a SAS swap is that i have no idea even where to start, or what parts i'd need cost is another issue as well. I can pick up the donor truck for 400$ (theres more on it than i'd use as well), then the cost of a locker and possibly gears. so proabably around 1000$ overall.

A sas I could easily fab any brackets or mounts.ect myself as I have a full metalworking shop at my disposal complete with mills, lathes, breaks, shears, welders and a waterjet table. but the steering, breaks, springs and the axle itself I wouldnt know where to even begin looking.

a 6" lift is still on the table at this point and a sas would likley offset over half the cost of a rcx lift.

I'm looking for something simple and I want to keep the truck driveable/moveable during the whole procedure, I have access to a hoist but it has to be empty through the day

plus i like the clearance ifs offers over the flex of sas

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Clearance IFS offers is completely negated when you snap the little cv shafts on anything more than a bunny slope. 2500 shafts are not very strong either, and the IFS diff housing itself is a known and exploited weak point(aluminum). Doing a 2500 front swap will be more difficult than an SAS and not offer much of an upgrade. If a big lift is wanted, count on breaking IFS parts if you intend to do any off roading.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
my offroading is limited to mainly mud and snow. the truck only sees 10k miles a year and very little of that is offroad. A lift is not planned for me this year, unless i come across a few extra grand unexpedly, My main problem now is that my rear locker is broke, I'm in the process of aquiring a rear end complete with richmond locker. I have been suprised at how well my truck has done in the snow without the rear locker (new tires help alot too) but I am for sure putting a locker back in the rear and i though that if i could easily get one in the front i'd do that as well.

I do agree that a sas is by far the better way to do it, I just dont have the time or $ to spend on it now. I want to keep stock height or possibly 35's. but i've been putting them off because of the cost of a regear. Mabye i'll hold off on messing with my front end for now.

unless i can find a cheap front and rear axle setup with gears and lockers already i'll just hold off.. since it is my weekend driver

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like that is your better bet. What I would do in your shoes is start acquiring the parts/knowledge you need and once you have it, take it all on at once. With enough time and patience you can get all the parts for an SAS for less than a grand if you fab the brackets.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
yeah.. who knows mabye with a good locker in the rear and my ner tires I wont even have the want for more traction... likley not though lol.
thanks for the advice.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Nothing compares to the traction you get with front and rear lockers but a good rear locker and tires will let most 2wd trucks get places some 4wd trucks can't. Add one of the front tires pulling and it makes for a very, very capable rig. What makes a truck able to handle extreme situations isn't the hardware, its the driver. Knowing when to lay off and when to throttle up are the most important things. Knowing which way to point the tires and how much counter steer you need is also vital. If you feel it bind, use reverse. If you feel it start to tip, turn in and blip the throttle. Most off road failures are caused by a heavy foot on both throttle and brake pedals. Gassing a stuck IFS truck on rocks is a sure fire way to snap the CV axles. Avoid wheel hop.