14 Bolt SF for $75

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can get a 14 Bolt SF for $75 at a local junkyard. I know that I will most likely have to change the U-Joint, but other than that will it bolt right up to a '97 Chevy half ton? Will the leaf springs and shock mounts be the same? I have tried searching and never found a definite yes or no.

Thanks in advance

Also is the Full Floater a direct bolt in other than the U-Joint?

Last edited:

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if the axle came out of a gmt400 4x4 it will bolt right in

if you are taking out a 10 bolt axle you can take the yoke off that and it fits onto the 14 bolt pinion so you dont have to buy a conversion u-joint

but you will need new u-bolt for the axle, and if you want to put in an AAL or block now would be a great time to do so also

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like squeaky3 said you can swap the yokes from the 10 to 14 bolts. just be sure to get it the right tourqe. Only other thing you will need is new U-bolts and I think you also need the bottom u-bolt plates, I cant remember if the 10 bolt ones work or not.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like they said, as long as its from the same body style, it will work.

Keep in mind that the 2wd version is 3" narrower than the 4wd version.

I wouldn't swap yokes unless the seal is leaking and you need to pull it off anyhow because then you have to set up a new crush sleeve and pinion depth. Just get the conversion u-joint, its easiest.

Get the u-bolt plates from the donor vehicle if you can. The 14 bolt has a larger diameter axle tube. The 10-bolt plates will work. You will have to force them to open up a little bit with an impact (what I had to do).

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the yoke can be swaped w/o taking anything else off, just use an impact and take the old one off and then put the new one on, the seal doesnt have to be changed or anything

i changed gears and everything in mine so i was able to just swap it right over in the process but it can be done w/o changing anything else

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the yoke can be swaped w/o taking anything else off, just use an impact and take the old one off and then put the new one on, the seal doesnt have to be changed or anything

i changed gears and everything in mine so i was able to just swap it right over in the process but it can be done w/o changing anything else

The problem with that is the possible change in pinion depth. When you reinstall the yoke, you are likely going to tighten it more than it was originally which crushes the sleeve more and the pinion will go in further. If that happens, you're going to significantly reduce the life of your gear set. When changing yokes, you should install a new crush sleeve and use the tools and knowledge required to properly set the pinion depth.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have never seen or heard of any problems with just taking the yoke off

if what your saying is that evrytime you have a pinion seal leak you need to comepletly tear down the entire diff just to replace the seal

ive been working on cars for a few years and have worked with people who have been working on cars for 40+ years and they have never had a problem

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I will probably go with a U-Joint to be safe. And I need a new one any way. Thanks for the help

qukon 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i heard the same thing darren says it do make sinse BUT you can take that chance to change the yoke i wouldn't if it's not leaking.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
damn guys I really want to do the 14bolt upgrade soon. Will the 4.56 gears I bought for my 10 bolt be able to be swapped into the new axle? Sounds like I need to find a junk'd gmt400 with a 14..and probably just buy 1 rear 4.56 kit for the 14 and sell off the 10. What's average price for a 14?