10 to 14 bolt SF swap - Quick Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I gave up on the 14 bolt 5 lug.

I have done 6 lug 4wd axle+adapters for 5 or 8lug wheels for a great fit and look... also have had wide 8 lug rear wheels made.

I personally loved having 8 lug nuts on the back of a 9 second OBS.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm about to give up on it too. I'm wanting to keep the five lug factory wheels without the use of any adapters, and I really don't want a different lug pattern on the rear. Would make my spare tire kind of useless for those two. Having six lug shafts plugged and re-drilled looks like it's just about my only option.

That would be a deal breaker...
works for me. Try updating the app?
You must be registered for see images attach

Your right...have to look at the diff size listed..then call anyway cuz them ******* are idiots. lol

Looks like you caught it but yeah, those are all 2WD. :lol: And I didn't even know they had an app, I always just use a computer or my phone's mobile browser.

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm about to give up on it too. I'm wanting to keep the five lug factory wheels without the use of any adapters, and I really don't want a different lug pattern on the rear. Would make my spare tire kind of useless for those two. Having six lug shafts plugged and re-drilled looks like it's just about my only option.

Looks like you caught it but yeah, those are all 2WD. :lol: And I didn't even know they had an app, I always just use a computer or my phone's mobile browser.

Dont give up, Im just about done converting my 6 lug SF to 5 Lug with disc with the emergency brake. Its been alot of work and money,
I just cant put a 9" Ford in my Chevy !!!!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dont give up, Im just about done converting my 6 lug SF to 5 Lug with disc with the emergency brake. Its been alot of work and money,
I just cant put a 9" Ford in my Chevy !!!!

Coincidentally I've been in back in contact with the guy who was going to sell me a 454SS axle, so I may be able to take the easy route yet! Definitely not giving up.

Out of curiosity though, what did you do to convert from six lug to five? Have the shafts plugged and re-drilled?

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can buy a 454 Axle, that is the way to go, you wouldn't have to re drill or machine the 454 Axle like The C2500 rear ends. They have a long axle spacing, so you need spacers for the disc brakes, this added some cost to my setup.

So Far I Have:
Had my 6 lug axles plugged & re drilled to 5x5
Had my axles machined down to fit inside the rotor

I used Little Shop MFG Disc Brake Setup with the emergency brake
Eric @ Little Shop is AWESOME and the kit fit perfect and the packaging was just as perfect

I still have a little bit to do before im running again
looks like my driveshaft is 1" to long now
still need to Swap my U joint
Get the new Eaton Posi Unit Setup
etc........

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the reply!

I'll probably stick with drums in the rear but it's nice to know there are some good options for discs too.

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the reply!

I'll probably stick with drums in the rear but it's nice to know there are some good options for discs too.

Nothing wrong with 6 lugs rear only either. A $45 wheel adapter would cover your spare issue...or $200 to convert your front to whatever lug you want.

GOOD AND CHEAP?
SF rear with 4.11
2" adapters for the rear OR front, giving you the option of 6 or 5 wheels with no other mods, and +2" track width!

NHRA legal and honestly pretty stout.

Last edited:

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can buy a 454 Axle, that is the way to go, you wouldn't have to re drill or machine the 454 Axle like The C2500 rear ends. They have a long axle spacing, so you need spacers for the disc brakes, this added some cost to my setup.

So Far I Have:
Had my 6 lug axles plugged & re drilled to 5x5
Had my axles machined down to fit inside the rotor

I used Little Shop MFG Disc Brake Setup with the emergency brake
Eric @ Little Shop is AWESOME and the kit fit perfect and the packaging was just as perfect

I still have a little bit to do before im running again
looks like my driveshaft is 1" to long now
still need to Swap my U joint
Get the new Eaton Posi Unit Setup
etc........
Thats alot of work for SF...ive been there.

Last time we spent $800 for a brand new fabbed housing that was narrower, 5 lug, and damn near bolted in...brake options GALORE.

Probably have $1500 in it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with 6 lugs rear only either. A $45 wheel adapter would cover your spare issue...or $200 to convert your front to whatever lug you want.

GOOD AND CHEAP?
SF rear with 4.11
2" adapters for the rear OR front, giving you the option of 6 or 5 wheels with no other mods, and +2" track width!

NHRA legal and honestly pretty stout.

Yeah, I know I could get it done with adapters but honestly I'm just not a fan of them. I know plenty of people run them with no issues, but I'd much rather have a six lug plugged and re-drilled for five if I can't get a hold of a 454SS rear.

I don't see this truck ever becoming a serious racer so track width and changing bolt patterns aren't a big concern. I just want to keep my factory steel five lug wheels, swap in an LQ4 and a 14 bolt, and do donuts. :lol:

Thanks for the reply, though! Who knows, maybe once I get some actual power in the truck my goals will change.