10 to 14 bolt SF swap - Quick Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hey all!

Backstory/rambling:
I've got an '89 K1500, RC/SB 350, 5 speed with 3.73's. Truck currently has about 235k miles. I might end up towing a car trailer occasionally and hear nothing but bad things about the 10 bolt.. I think the rear end is original and it's been flawless in the 10k miles we've driven it. Not to mention last year I replaced all the brake hardware, turned the drums and changed the fluid.. I never intended on swapping it as I've heard the 14 bolt I need/want is pretty much made from unobtainium so tried to push it from my mind. Welp.. Went to a yard this past Saturday and whilst searching for horns and a headliner (found both!) for my truck I spotted something... Big ole pumpkin, counted me 14 bolts and then went looking for the RPO sticker so I could justify not pulling it. Nope. donor truck is a K1500, RPO sticker listed: "G80" and "GT4." Umm, how could one say no to this?? What are the odds I found it and what will then be the odds of finding it again in under a year? Unknown mileage as someone removed the cluster, truck I think is a '95 to '98. I could not spin the tires by hand, it's a Michigan truck and so the axle was crusty as frig so I suspect the Gov-Bomb did what it's notorious for or (if I may be so lucky) it just has sticky brakes. If I were to nab it, I'd have it gone through by a local diff shop, sand blasted & painted and then I'd redo the brakes and such myself as I'm one of those weirdos who like drum brakes and finds them rather fun to change out.

Why yes, I did search:
I read through Jared Jackson's thread "10 bolt swap to 14 bolt (6 lug)" to discover its best to pull an axle from another K series truck and also saw where Jcribb mentioned it's best to also grab the spring perches and fresh u-bolts before doing the swap.

Please help me with my ignorance:
So here are the questions I was hoping you fine folks could help me with, as I've never swapped or pulled a rear end before. I read a lot of stuff on here and you guys pull of stuff like it's no big thing but to me, everything is a big deal..

1) Do I need to pull the front axle from that truck too? Will I run into any problems if I don't? I thought I read somewhere that front and rear ring & pinions are matched..

2) What should I check for before pulling the axle? I plan on taking the cover off but aside from looking for metal bits inside the housing or chipped gear teeth I might as well be staring at the sun.

3) Anything else I should take?

4) Would you do the swap or go through the trouble of taking the axle?

Thank you for reading and for your input!

Derek

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
... weed eater. ant killer. jackstands to hold truck. chocks. coffee tin for bolts.
pb blaster. cordless impact for the long ass bolts. BIG bar.

Drag racer: use v6 springs. Towing: use the big K springs.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Haha, I'll be sure to bring some killer. Great suggestions, thank you for your response!

I think I'm going to keep my current springs, but the donor truck is an extended cab long box if I remember right. It's a half ton, did not look for any other RPO codes besides G80 and GT4. I'd take those springs if it wouldn't jack up my ride height too much, want it to remain level front and rear...

So I won't have any problems running that axle with my current front axle?

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha, I'll be sure to bring some killer. Great suggestions, thank you for your response!

I think I'm going to keep my current springs, but the donor truck is an extended cab long box if I remember right. It's a half ton, did not look for any other RPO codes besides G80 and GT4. I'd take those springs if it wouldn't jack up my ride height too much, want it to remain level front and rear...

So I won't have any problems running that axle with my current front axle?

a 3.73 is a 3.73, so you should be good there. Only other thing that might be a "thing" is if the PO of that axle did a gear swap? Doubtful, but possible...

Does that yard charge a fee to do part removal for you?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Ok, I'll double check the ratio when I get back there this Sunday. Looks like you guys would pull it so I'll man up. I don't think this yard pulls parts, think the name of it is "U-Pull & Save" LoL. Luckily though, I've got a buddy who accepts payment in food & beer so it should get done no problem-o.

Oh, will I need a special U-joint? What about the flange/yoke on the driveshaft? Will my current driveshaft & such work with the 14 bolt?

Thanks again fellas, I appreciate the advice & tips.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Driveshaft should work from what my mechanic has told me, but you'll probably need a 1330 to 1350 or similar conversion U-joint depending on what you have now. I had to do the same but for the reverse reason after my 4L80E swap, my new driveshaft used a larger joint than the 10 bolt rear.

Keep us posted on how this goes, this is on my to-do list but with a five lug 14 bolt SF from a 454SS.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
One last question!

Will my parking brake cable work with the 14 bolt? It's non existent right now but when I go to order a new one I'd like to order one that works :D

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its non existant... order for the year your taking from.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk