10 bolt to 14 bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 10 bolt rear end has grenaded. Need to replace. I want to get a 14 bolt put in instead. What should I look for at the yard? Ratios? Sf? Ff? 8 lug is ok by me. What do I need to do to change the front out too?

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
you can get a sf...with 6 lugs...i did the upgrade to mine and was able to get the right ratio and e.brake cables that worked...for 500

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice. I looked at the 8 lug convert in the front, too adventurous for me. Will i need a U joint adapter to sue the 6 lug SF?

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
I swapped a 14bsf into my 6.5 blazer with no converstion joint, others have said that it is necessary, so I am forced to assume there is a difference in the 6.5l driveshaft (it does have 4l80). So unless you're diesel, I would assume you need one based on what i've read.

Other than that, the only major considering is that the 14bsf is longer from axle center-line to yoke, so if you are not lifted, you will very likely destroy your t-case output seal due to rust rubbing on it.

As for the 8 lug swap front end... you already figured out, NOT worth it. This does stop you from using a 14bff in the rear unless you're willing to mismatch wheels, but the semi-floater is plenty strong for anything but high power wheeling.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
also be aware of sf 14 bolts come in 1500 and 2500...the spring perch is higher on the 1500 and lower by 1.5" on the 2500

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
also be aware of sf 14 bolts come in 1500 and 2500...the spring perch is higher on the 1500 and lower by 1.5" on the 2500

This is the first I've heard of that. I thought the only concern was to get one of the correct width (4x2 14bsfs are 2-3" shorter from WMS to WMS), and the Van axles have different perch width.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
This is the first I've heard of that. I thought the only concern was to get one of the correct width (4x2 14bsfs are 2-3" shorter from WMS to WMS), and the Van axles have different perch width.

maybe the 8600 gvw 3/4 (8 lug 9.5) but even at that i have never seen different height perches with any of the 1/2 ton-7200 gvw 3/4 ton 6 lug 9.5 axles i have sold over the years

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped a 14bsf into my 6.5 blazer with no converstion joint, others have said that it is necessary, so I am forced to assume there is a difference in the 6.5l driveshaft (it does have 4l80). So unless you're diesel, I would assume you need one based on what i've read.

Other than that, the only major considering is that the 14bsf is longer from axle center-line to yoke, so if you are not lifted, you will very likely destroy your t-case output seal due to rust rubbing on it.

As for the 8 lug swap front end... you already figured out, NOT worth it. This does stop you from using a 14bff in the rear unless you're willing to mismatch wheels, but the semi-floater is plenty strong for anything but high power wheeling.

Thanks for all the info. Ill have to look at these spring perches too it seems, but i knew about the width issue. I have springs from a 3/4 ton on the truck, will this provide enough lift to deal with the rubbing issue? If not, should I grab a 3/4 ton driveshaft? would that fix it?

Im not doing any crazy wheeling stunts, im just tired of the 10 bolt blowing itself up for no reason.

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Ill have to look at these spring perches too it seems, but i knew about the width issue. I have springs from a 3/4 ton on the truck, will this provide enough lift to deal with the rubbing issue? If not, should I grab a 3/4 ton driveshaft? would that fix it?

Im not doing any crazy wheeling stunts, im just tired of the 10 bolt blowing itself up for no reason.

I would just use an emory cloth to smooth out the yoke where it slips into the output. Not sure if the 3/4 shaft will do the job, but it would solve your U-joint problem, as long as the t-case is the same. 3/4 springs will not raise your truck a noticable amount. a 2" lift block was not enough to stop me from destroying the seal.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
you need the right u bolt plates to mount the axle(or a ubolt flip) and a shaft with 1350 joints