10 bolt on last leg...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the 10 bolt on the truck in my sig ate a carrier bearing, chewed up some teeth on my 4.56s, and looks like it may have messed up the eaton posi unit in it also. I was able to take it to machine shop and they re-worked the bearing seat and put on new carrier bearings and I put it back together as best as I could but I fear it won't last long.

So looking at options:
#1 - Rebuild the 10-bolt. For about $750 I can get new ring and pinion and a Detroit TrueTrac installed at a local shop. The brake drums, pads, hardware, and cylinders all have less than 10k on them and I have a $170 summit aluminum diff cover already installed on the 10-bolt

#2 - Find a 6 lug 14-bolt SF (so far I have only found 1 and they wanted $700 and was 3.73) TureTrac is $590, $150 master install, $200-250 for gears, $250 to have someone install gears, new u-joint, and I may have to re-do brakes

#3 - 14-bolt FF I have found several of these in the $600-800 price range with 4.56's and Detroit locker, Would need new wheels or $500 6lug and disc brake conversion kit, brake parts will be $150-200 a little more if I have to add a proportioning valve. Is there a trick u-joint for the FF like you can do on the SF? Will spring perches and shock mounts line up?

So what would you do?
Rebuild of the 10bolt would be cheapest and least amount of work for me but at the end of the day I still have a 10bolt.
The SF would be nice but parts are so spendy $$$ to lock and re-gear
The FF is overkill but has the bullet proof going for it but sucks on ground clearance and gas mileage but could get $$ back selling the hubs if I decided to SAS down the road and go 8lug all the way around.

Shorty01GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 bolt will never last... why gm didnt build all fullsize 4x4 trucks with atleast the 14sf idk.....

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
10 bolt will never last... why gm didnt build all fullsize 4x4 trucks with atleast the 14sf idk.....

the 9.5 rear has its issues too, the 3:42 gear axles tends to eat pinion bearings and the g80 still fails just not as often
the 10b without the g80 generally never breaks for normal everyday use and has been a reliable axle since 1978, it was never meant for big tires or heavy hauling more suited for a 3/4-1 ton

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
So the 10 bolt on the truck in my sig ate a carrier bearing, chewed up some teeth on my 4.56s, and looks like it may have messed up the eaton posi unit in it also. I was able to take it to machine shop and they re-worked the bearing seat and put on new carrier bearings and I put it back together as best as I could but I fear it won't last long.

So looking at options:
#1 - Rebuild the 10-bolt. For about $750 I can get new ring and pinion and a Detroit TrueTrac installed at a local shop. The brake drums, pads, hardware, and cylinders all have less than 10k on them and I have a $170 summit aluminum diff cover already installed on the 10-bolt

#2 - Find a 6 lug 14-bolt SF (so far I have only found 1 and they wanted $700 and was 3.73) TureTrac is $590, $150 master install, $200-250 for gears, $250 to have someone install gears, new u-joint, and I may have to re-do brakes

#3 - 14-bolt FF I have found several of these in the $600-800 price range with 4.56's and Detroit locker, Would need new wheels or $500 6lug and disc brake conversion kit, brake parts will be $150-200 a little more if I have to add a proportioning valve. Is there a trick u-joint for the FF like you can do on the SF? Will spring perches and shock mounts line up?

So what would you do?
Rebuild of the 10bolt would be cheapest and least amount of work for me but at the end of the day I still have a 10bolt.
The SF would be nice but parts are so spendy $$$ to lock and re-gear
The FF is overkill but has the bullet proof going for it but sucks on ground clearance and gas mileage but could get $$ back selling the hubs if I decided to SAS down the road and go 8lug all the way around.

that price is way too high for a 10.5 rear, you can get them in the $100-$150 range just about anywhere(i just got rid of a 4:56 axle for $75), a detroit is fairly easy to put in and is about $360 for one, the conversion ujoint is the same as the 9.5, they both are a 1350 joint yoke, for what it cost for hubs i would just get different rims now if you have any thought of ever going sas, if you plan on ever needing more than 4:56 gear then i suggest a 4:10 and down axle as the 4:56 axle is harder to get gears for because of the carrier break

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't made it to any of the yards around here yet to check but that is the price range I have been finding them on the local 4x4 forums, craigslist, and ebay. Thought they would be in $200-400 range but everything I have found in the last week or two has been in the price range listed or cheap but way up in your neck of the woods and shipping cost gets it right back up there. I am down in Arkansas.

Last edited:

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I haven't made it to any of the yards around here yet to check but that is the price range I have been finding them on the local 4x4 forums, craigslist, and ebay. Thought they would be in $200-400 range but everything I have found in the last week or two has been in the price range listed or cheap but way up in your neck of the woods and shipping cost gets it right back up there. I am down in Arkansas.

you could check pirate 4x4

Shorty01GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the 9.5 rear has its issues too, the 3:42 gear axles tends to eat pinion bearings and the g80 still fails just not as often
the 10b without the g80 generally never breaks for normal everyday use and has been a reliable axle since 1978, it was never meant for big tires or heavy hauling more suited for a 3/4-1 ton

The 10 bolt has a home under a car imo not a truck.. You can build multiple 10 bolts and hope it lasts, build a 14bsf and have some mild fun or throw away the ifs and semifloat axle if you want something tuff.. Nothing is indestructable ... 10 bolt MIGHT survive on street .. i wouldn waste another dime on it..

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
You've never really said how your truck gets used. If 90% of what you drive on is pavement, a 10 bolt is enough for you. Maybe step up to a 14sf if you think you'll need it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2