1/2 to 3/4 IFS swap????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Curran

Reaction score
I've got a '98 half ton 4x4 extra cab that's stock. I'd like to get it a bit beefier for towing, a little playing etc. Just piece of mind. Anyway, I have a '98 3/4 ton 4x4 that friend blew up the motor in and I have free reign of everything.

Is this swap possible? I plan on swapping the rear SF 14 bolt and springs for the rear, which is easy but the front is where I'm wondering. Can you swap from the knuckle out? Or swap the whole thing? I don't want to lift it, just get a bit stronger. Again the donor parts are free!

I've asked other forums and have read elsewhere but I'm getting a bunch of different answers.

Thanks!

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Definitely a possible swap, I didn't get a chance to participate in it but some guys I know recently took a 2 door Tahoe an swapped 3/4 truck ifs underneath it. To my knowledge everything just bolted on, control arms an knuckles. They didn't necessary lift it either just wanted the beefier suspension for off-road.

Sent from my 5.7 powered iPhone

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
All brackets and dimensions are different it's a really big undertaking to still be stuck with ifs. Not worth it imo.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
All brackets and dimensions are different it's a really big undertaking to still be stuck with ifs. Not worth it imo.

x2. The upper control arms on the 3/4 ton trucks are wider than the 1/2 tons and the front diffs wont directly swap over either.

You mentioned a 14 BSF in your post, is the 3/4 ton a 6 lug? If so, the front will be the same as the 1/2 ton.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Definitely a possible swap, I didn't get a chance to participate in it but some guys I know recently took a 2 door Tahoe an swapped 3/4 truck ifs underneath it. To my knowledge everything just bolted on, control arms an knuckles. They didn't necessary lift it either just wanted the beefier suspension for off-road.

Any pictures of it?

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't, like I said I missed the chances to get my hands dirty with that project, I did ask more and it seems the lower control arms bolted right in but the uppers they did some welding.