Transmission fuse slot 20 blown and keeps blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kagenh

Reaction score
I have a 1996 GMC Sierra my tach and speedo and light gear selector stopped working about a week ago along with my transmission stuck in 3rd but can down shift manually into 2nd. Did some researching and thought it would maybe be the ignition switch so i bought a new one and replaced it and also discovered the 10a slot 20 transmissions fuse was blown so i replaced it as well. I reconnect the battery and turn the ignition on. Everything light up like it should then it blew again..... suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Sounds like a short in the trans harness. Trace the wires from the connector on the passenger side of the trans up to make sure theyre not running somewhere. If you dont find anything it could be an issue with the harnsee inside the trans.

Kagenh

Reaction score
Sounds like a short in the trans harness. Trace the wires from the connector on the passenger side of the trans up to make sure theyre not running somewhere. If you dont find anything it could be an issue with the harnsee inside the trans.
Just take a multimeter? Or look for exposed wires?

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Just take a multimeter? Or look for exposed wires?

I would start by just following the wires and make sure there are no obvious pinch or rub points. If you cant find anything then start pokin around with a multimeter.

Kagenh

Reaction score
I would start by just following the wires and make sure there are no obvious pinch or rub points. If you cant find anything then start pokin around with a multimeter.
Ok thank you! Ill try that and see what i find.