timing confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RJWTX

Reaction score
I have a 1992 K2500LD I bought off a kid a while back, well it wasn't running right so I started looking at the spark plugs first, the firing order was way out of whack. I put it in the correct firing order and new plugs and now it won't start. I pulled the distributor cap off and put motor at TDC (confirmed by bore scope) but the rotor if facing 90* to the driverside instead of towards #1 cyl. 180* out is 90* facing the passenger side. I suspect the timing is messed up but I am wondering if this is some mod that I do not know about or if I need to rip the timing cover off and pull the distributor. I am trying to be as non invasive as possible. The motor was shop rebuild but I'm thinking the shop cut corners as my rockers are also loose, I have a small sharp fluctuations at idle too.

Thank you.

Attachments

• KIMG0820.JPG
    KIMG0820.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 8

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds like your distributor was simply dropped in with the rotor in a different position than normal. If you have 100% verified that you are on TDC on the power stroke, you have two options:

1. Re-install the distributor in the factory position with the rotor phased properly.

2. Leave the distributor alone and note which terminal aligns with the rotor. This is your “new” #1 terminal.

Typically, the factory installed the rotor to physically point towards the #1 cylinder. In reality, the distributor and rotor don’t care where they are facing, as long as the terminal above the rotor at TDC is used for #1.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you at tdc on number one on the ignition stroke.
Not the exhaust stroke.
Dont run it at all with loose rockers.
I assume this is a 5.7
Start from scratch.
Set timing at tdc on number one on the ignition stroke.
See if the timing mark lines up.
Pull the distributor and set it aside.
Pull the valve covers and learn how to adjust the valves.
If you cant get the cam to crank to distributer timing correct.
Then take the front cover off and see if the timing set is installed correctly.
At first, the geometry takes a bit to understand but it is absolutely critical.
Dont run it untill you get that part right in your mind.
Especially since you bought it from some kid.
Google how does a chevy 350 work
Get that part down and all else is pretty easy.

RJWTX

Reaction score
Are you at tdc on number one on the ignition stroke.
Not the exhaust stroke.
Dont run it at all with loose rockers.
I assume this is a 5.7
Start from scratch.
Set timing at tdc on number one on the ignition stroke.
See if the timing mark lines up.
Pull the distributor and set it aside.
Pull the valve covers and learn how to adjust the valves.
If you cant get the cam to crank to distributer timing correct.
Then take the front cover off and see if the timing set is installed correctly.
At first, the geometry takes a bit to understand but it is absolutely critical.
Dont run it untill you get that part right in your mind.
Especially since you bought it from some kid.
Google how does a chevy 350 work
Get that part down and all else is pretty easy.
I've repaired and work on many SBCs both carb and TBI but I'll be honest it's been 16~ years since I've touched one and I've forgotten alot I use to know about them. Lol. This kid tore this truck up lol I've replaced the whole suspension and steering system, rebuilt and regeared both axles, and rebuilt Tcase. But it's hard to find a TBI K2500 ext cab, swb with the nv4500. I did get it at a decent price though. My ultimate goal is a full restomod. I'll check everything again and readjust the distributor. I honestly do not know how this truck was running as some plug wires were flipped. But thank y'all for the refresher.