swap 89 dash to 97-99 dash possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89chevc1500

Reaction score
I have a 1989 rcsb that has seen better days and not been taken care of by many previous owners. I would like to change this dash to a newer model because it would look better and mine is falling apart. I know i would have to change door panels too but i guess one of my concerns is would i have to change a/c-heat box inside dash to be compatible with newer controls? I would also need all air ducts too wouldnt i? and i would have to have a way to adapt the newer cluster if it is even possible. this is an idea in my head i want to happen but not sure if i could find all the parts or even afford everthing needed.

89chevc1500

Reaction score
I know anything is possible with unlimited time and budget but realisticly how hard would it be

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
Another thing you will need is the steering wheel bracket that is riveted to the firewall from a 95+ truck. You will need this to be able to bolt in the new steering column that goes with the 95-99 dashes.

89chevc1500

Reaction score
thanks guys for your input. If I understand correctly I will need a steering column, dash complete with wiring harness, cluster, hvac and controls and ducts, door panels. am I forgetting anything? would it be easier to just get the complete doors from the 95-99 model because i would like to have power windows and locks?

89chevc1500

Reaction score
so i was thinkin of doin a 6.0 ls swap in my truck. My concern is would it be best to wait to do the dash swap at the same time as the engine swap? with all the wiring issues to figure out with the newer cluster and even newer engine?

jantzer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the 6.0 swap will change the interior wiring much except for your new DLC link