Newby Trying to Troubleshoot A/C on 98 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassman1282

Reaction score
My A/C compressor won't kick on. Heater works, blower works, lights on the A/C button and recirc button on the console all work. I disconnected the plug to the compressor, and with the engine running and A/C button on, no voltage at the plug. I switched out the A/C relay and does not help. Using a multimeter on the ohms setting, the circuit from the end of the compressor plug seems to be good to the relay. I can find a complete circuit on the ground and the power wire from the plug to the relay.

There is also a 10A A/C fuse in the under hood relay center. I am not getting a complete circuit reading when I remove the fuse and test for ohms at that fuse point. Does this mean anything? Did not test ohms on the cabin A/C fuse.

I have VERY little experience with electrical wiring and even less on auto wiring. But it seems to me that I should be seeing a complete circuit at that 10A fuse block. The other fuse blocks in that relay center are showing me a complete circuit. Does this mean I have a short in the wire, or potentially a loose wire, at that fuse point? Would that fuse even control the compressor, or is it a switch fuse? What should I try? Thanks guys.