Headlights dont work but the parking lights do work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emil

Reaction score
I know this is farely common in our trucks with these years. Right now with planning a funeral and work I dont have alot of time to get out and troubleshoot it properly so I'm asking for some advice to hopefully get it going tonight. I'm supposed to be driving to Georgia monday night so I definatly need them working haha. I have a 92 silvy. Last night I was rushing to my parents house. I noticed the lights flickered a little bit when I first got in the truck but the 20 minute drive they worked perfectly. After the truck sat for an hour I went back to it, started it up and have no headlights now. The parking lights turn on, blinkers and all the other lights work. It slipped my mind to see if the hi-beams work which I'm going to do in just a moment. I replaced the switch which had a burn mark on one of the prongs but that didnt do anything. What other things can I check? I also swapped the 2 silver colored relays below the steering wheel and nothing changed. I'm thinking it could possibly be a bad ground but like I mentioned I'm strapped on time for troubleshoot. Thanks in advance for any help. I really appreciate it.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
do you have the 4-hi mod? if so look into that wiring/relays under the hood. when my old 89 did that it was the switch though.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Double check all your fuses? Are you sure the connector going to the headlight switch is good? You said there was a burn mark on one of the prongs, something could have happened to the connector as well. When mine did this it was the switch as well.....

Emil

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I figured it out. When I flashed the brights on the headlights started working again. I was in a panic the night it all happened and it never crossed my mind to do that. I got it replaced with a little bit of time and effort. The wiring was shot. I'll post a picture to show the mess I had when I pulled the old one out.