Fold-up third row (like GMT800)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has attempted this..
My family had a 2001 Yukon (not XL) when I was in high school and with the 3rd row in it you could have the third row installed but folded up out of the way (tumbled forward). I believe the GMT800+ Suburban/XL also had this option. You folded the back down, then pull a lever and the rear of the seat lifts up, but the front stays locked in place so it pivots forward and there is a prop-rod or something that holds it in that position, thus giving you a larger flat load floor.

Like this
You must be registered for see images attach

My question is, has anyone tried to do something like this for a GMT400 Suburban?
Obviously (without a ton of work) it wouldn't be as clean of a solution as the newer model, but I'd really like to be able to do this for a few reasons.

1) If I remove the third row I have to store it somewhere.
2) I like having the third row with us, as when we visit family (why we bought the 'burb) it's nice to be able to travel in one vehicle, and since we have the car-seat we tend to end up driving no matter what.

3) We travel with our dog, who seems most comfortable in her "crate" in the back, but on testing our travel crate basically extends from the third row right up to the door, or I rotate it 90 degrees but that leaves less usable cargo area. Obviously we can just throw stuff on top of the 3rd row but it would be nice to have another solution.

I'm thinking something as simple as an angle bracket that will hold the seat upright and ratchet straps to hold it down, but may look for a more elegant way.

If nobody has tried this, I will likely look into a home-brew solution eventually, but figured I'd ask the interwebs before trying it.