Engine Miss and Starts Hard at Times.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
97 K1500 5.7L vortec MFI

New plugs, wires, dizzy cap, rotor button, MFI injection conversion kit. All done back in mid sept and mid october. I replaced spark plugs in mid sept. when doing tune up on truck. Then not too long after doing the tune up I started getting a miss and hard starting at times. When I replaced the CFI to MFI conversion I had to replace plug again cause the #8 or #6 cylinder had a plug with broken ceremic around the electrode on the plug. Ran fine for like 2 weeks then since Nov. 2011 it starting the miss thing again. I have a feeling the #8 or #6 is destroying plugs. I use Ac Delco plugs in this truck. The will not stall out when its missing. The wires, cap and rotor button came from napa auto parts store. I also heard that the ethenol gas from the pumps can cause a miss too. I buy my gas from Shell. Just recently switched from regular to plus at shell. I'm getting 330 miles to a 26 gallon tank since switching to MFI.

I'm in auto tech class and thinking I might have to end up putting this on a sun machine at school.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
No. I just removed the tthrottle body and upper intake. The lower intake stayed mounted on the engine.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Checked the fuel pressure? Has the truck been timed? Is the ignition advance working correctly? I personally don't use ethanol in my truck anymore. The stuff was obviously inferior to 100% fuel. You may do a top end cleaning(Sea Foam in the brake booster line).

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
I tested the fuel pressure before the MFI conversion. I got 52 at a running engine and 60 when turning on/off for the fuel pressure. The fuel filter was replaced back in May 2011 with the Wix from Amsoil. I was told it had automatic engine timing according to All data. Meaning it sets itself in time. I have no idea on ignition advance thing. How is that checked?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have to have a live data scanner to set the timing, it need's to be +or- 2 degree's of 0 or TDC, it's called the cam retard offset.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
You have to have a live data scanner to set the timing, it need's to be +or- 2 degree's of 0 or TDC, it's called the cam retard offset.

Is there anything I should be looking on doing this. We have a OTC Geninus and Snapon modias at school. I know the OTC was able to pin point the misfire on a specific cylinder. The snapon just said misfire but didnt give out which cylinder it was.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well there are a lot of thing's I would check, like fuel trim's, O2 cross count's, just basically a complete live data scan to check everything, you need to get some basic figures for what the data is supposed to be though, from a source such as all data so that you know whether a particular thing is out of spec. I don't have the basic parameter's for your truck either, I wish I did.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score

You can't set the timing manually but you can check it with a timing light. I think the base factory setting is 8* advanced at idle and 0* total at idle. I could be wrong.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
You mentioned replacing everything but the Fuel Pump. My hard-starts were from the pump, that and it was a dog above 70.