Confused, 4l60e in limp mode, but no SES light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTAwheelman

Reaction score
Figured it was the shift a solenoid so i replaced it since it was a cheap part and i needed to do a filter change anyways.

That didnt fix the problem.

From what i gather from the sticky threads up there is that when the trans is in limp mode the SES light should be on, correct? Checked the fuse and whoever owned the truck before had a 30amp fuse in the trans fuse location. It didn't look blown but i replaced it with the correct 10amp fuse. Still nothing.

Not sure where to start now. I figure its most likely its a short in the trans power wire. Could it be a bad PCM?

BTW its a 1993 350 ecsb 2wd

tried searching but could not find any threads with this problem

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like the trans is not getting power. It will not light the SES if the trans has no power...mine was completely unlplugged when I bought it.

I also had a strange problem with mine a couple years ago that was electrical, but it was 4WD related.

GTAwheelman

Reaction score
pretty sure there is a short in the pink wire from the fuse box to the trans. which would be better? finding the short and splicing in new wire/repair or run new wire from trans connector to fuse box? if i did the latter i would use the existing slot for the trans fuse and just cut the old pink wire off about 1-2in before the trans connector.

man i wish is checked this truck over more before buying it. the P.O. put in an trans cooler, but just bent one of the lines going into the radiator.then attached a rubber hose to the bent line going to the cooler, then a rubber hose from the cooler back to the radiator. now one of the lines are leaking.

only had the truck about month

GTAwheelman

Reaction score
gotta say i'm disappointed with the lack replies. Out of 65 views only one guy had any suggestions? no one to tell me i'm stupid?

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would bypass the stock power wire and splice it in just before & after the connectors like you said. Be sure the connectors themselves are good first and there is no crap stuck in the plug and the pins are seated correctly, etc. But replacing the wire will be easier than trying to find a short.

GTAwheelman

Reaction score
I would bypass the stock power wire and splice it in just before & after the connectors like you said. Be sure the connectors themselves are good first and there is no crap stuck in the plug and the pins are seated correctly, etc. But replacing the wire will be easier than trying to find a short.

just tried doing this and it kept blowing fuses. so tomorrow i'm going to recheck the connections and make sure the connectors themselves are clean. if its none of those i figure the harness inside the trans is junk.

GTAwheelman

Reaction score
replaced the harness/tcc solenoid and it fixed the problem. the TCC solenoid had been replaced once before and for some reason the harness had been cut and spliced back together in one spot.

not sure which one was the problem but it works perfectly now