Can I put a '95 350 TBI into a '98 body?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExoMech

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it would be possible to to a swap the motor from an older pre OBD2 truck into a newer OBD2 truck. The motor is from a '95 TBI and is a 5.7L small block, I want to try upgrading it and putting it into a '98 body with a 4L60-E (also going to be upgraded) transmission. I want to know if there was anything that I should watch out for, like if I would have to change any of the wires and computers, fuel routing, if I'm able to change it from TBI to Port-injected, and to put some other upgrades into the motor. My goal is just to make a fun mud bogger but I wanna make sure that I don't screw myself over and have it done properly. Any help and thoughts appreciated! Also I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The easiest way is to use the TBI short block and the Vortec heads, intake, and accessory drive. Stick with the Vortec injection. Inspect Vortec heads carefully for cracks between the valves and spark plugs before installation.

ExoMech

Reaction score
The easiest way is to use the TBI short block and the Vortec heads, intake, and accessory drive. Stick with the Vortec injection. Inspect Vortec heads carefully for cracks between the valves and spark plugs before installation.
How much electrical sawping will i have to do for the vortec plenum?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Vortec heads, the Vortec intake will bolt right on just like the original engine.

I didn't mention previously, but you'll also want to swap the cam over along with the roller lifters, spider assembly & dogbones, and cam retaining plate.

You'll also need the Vortec balancer, and reluctor off the front of the crank. You'll need a new timing cover because they're cheap plastic. The Vortec-specific timing cover has a boss for the crank position sensor.

You'll need the Vortec water pump.

Here's a thread with details.

ExoMech

Reaction score
With Vortec heads, the Vortec intake will bolt right on just like the original engine.

I didn't mention previously, but you'll also want to swap the cam over along with the roller lifters, spider assembly & dogbones, and cam retaining plate.

You'll also need the Vortec balancer, and reluctor off the front of the crank. You'll need a new timing cover because they're cheap plastic. The Vortec-specific timing cover has a boss for the crank position sensor.

Thanks for the info!

Reaction score

Why does the cam setup need to be changed over with lifters etc when using Vortec heads on older block? Clearances issue ?

edit - Is it not possible to run flat lifter and cam with vortec heads?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it not possible to run flat lifter and cam with vortec heads?
Sure. You could use a flat-tappet cam with Vortec heads...but why would you want to? There's no good reason to use a flat-tappet cam if you can use a roller-cam system.

IF (big IF) the block has the provisions for an OEM roller cam, you should take advantage of them, and use the OEM roller cam 'n' lifter arrangement. Depending on how much computer tuning you are willing to do, you may or may not want to use the stock Vortec cam.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does the cam setup need to be changed over with lifters etc when using Vortec heads on older block? Clearances issue ?
It doesn't need it, but if you're going to replace the cam, now's the time. There's no good reason to use a flat tappet cam and plenty of reasons not to. Modern oils do not support flat tappet cams, and more and more pro builders are refusing to build with flat-tappet cams due to failures.

The L31 cam is better than the LO5. It has significantly more lift, but not so much that you can't run the stock TBI.

L05 cam specs
Lift: .390/.409
Adv Duration: 258/269
Dur @ .050: 194/202
LSA: 112

L31 cam specs
Lift: .414/.428
Adv Duration: 261/263
Dur @ .050: 191/194
LSA: 111