Bad Rods/Mains/Lifter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I have 97 ccsb 5.7 that has a clicking when starting. After a couple minutes it goes away and I have what people are calling "Piston Slap" that seems common. My dad keeps telling me it is the mains or rods so I bought a stethoscope and starting listening in places on the motor. I put it all over the bottom of the oil pan and there is no knocking there. Does that mean I can rule or rods and mains? Also, would it make sense that the initial sounds when I start up is a lifter bleeding off? I have to wait to in the morning to get that sounds again to use steth on it. Let me know your thoughts. The truck has 228k miles, I bought it 2k miles ago and drove it 800 miles home. It supposedly has new heads. The "Piston Slap" never gets any worse with driving, the other sound goes away within a minute of driving or after idling a little bit. BTW, I drained a quart of oil out and put in 1 quart ATF and drove it 340 miles and it didn't affect either. Oil pressure doesn't go below 35 at idle, 40 while driving, hasn't used a drop of oil in 2k miles, doesn't smoke.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if it were the mains then your oil pressure would be really low. If it were either of those then the noise would not stop.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Ha, that's my old truck!

It did go away after a bit. The ticking sound in the video is bad lifters. I ended up replacing them all

Yeah, mine sounds just like it at startup, then a very, very faint sound after warming up.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Alright, I bought a motor with 96k miles on it last night from a 3500 box truck. I know that I need to change the oil filter adapter over to the one on my old motor. Is there anything else I should have to change? It was a C3500 and I have a K1500. Would I expect to see a 4 bolt main in this since it was a 1 ton truck?