Added weight of a 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshHegwood

Reaction score
Ok guys need a little knowledge here. The 5.7L engine in my 89 k1500 just went out. Here are my options replace with another small block and be done with it or a big block and be different, dont know if that would be a good thing. LOL I found a donor 92 model 2wd suburban with a 454 that i could salvage a lot of the parts i need off of. I know about the 700r4 transmission not holding up to a bb. But what about the front suspension. How will the TB hold up to the added weight of the larger engine. Dont know if the front end will sag and dont know if i want to crank up the front end that much also. Any input will be helpful Thanks

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
My Isuzu weighs as much as a big block but I did the solid front axle at the same time I put it in so I'm not sure about the stock suspension. Some of the guys with offroad bumpers or plows should be able to chime in about how much they have to crank/how much sag they have.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have done this swap before, and from what I have seen a big block will drop a previously SBC truck about 2 inches in the front from the extra weight. A BBC weigh's roughly 800 pound's with iron head's.

joshHegwood

Reaction score
Could a set of 3/4 ton or 1 ton bars help this out. Are the TB's the only thing different fron 1/2 to 3/4 ton other than hubs.