98 GMC 1500 differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattyMaine

Reaction score
Hello all my 98 GMC 1500 Sierra will not lock the front axles into four wheel drive the electronic shift buttons light up and stay solid the shaft coming out of the transfer case spins when put into four-wheel drive but the front axles won't turn I've lifted the vehicle with it in park and the rear tires on the ground in four-wheel drive the front wheels both spin I've checked the actuator I've even shoved an extension into the actuator hole to see if I can manually engage the front axles the extension will only go in about a quarter inch when it hits whatever is inside there it depresses about 1/4 of an inch and that's it I've checked the passenger side axle to see if it has popped out from the tube it only has about a quarter inch of play it doesn't seem to be any grinding or binding whatsoever everything spins freely what should I do next

MattyMaine

Reaction score
Both front CV shafts are turning as well when I rotate the wheel off the ground something is not engaging any differential I'm suspecting maybe the fork but I've never taken one apart before.