700r to th350 back to 700r

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigd

Reaction score
I recently put a long tail th350 in my truck had problems with it and the tranny guy said he would build me a 700r4 that i would be happy with. Well i now have problems with the 700r4. I have no OD or passing gear! I thought it was in the tv cable so i adjusted it 3 or 4 times once i had it to tight and it wouldnt shift from 1-2 untill 4 grand. i readjusted till now it shifts at 2500 and its a firm 1-2 soft 2-3. when in OD or D it will not hold a gear when at WOT (meaning i can punch it from a rolling 20 and it will still shift at 2500). i can manuly shift it and hold any gear all i want. if i shift from 1-2 at 4000 it will bark the tires goning into 2 run it on up and shift into 3 and its just a firm shift. but i cant seem to get it to go in OD. ive run the truck up to 80mph and still no OD. I dono what to do. could it be the plug for lock up just dirty bad connection? is there a ground for that plug not hooked up? Im lost! help!

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First, I would change the governor. Get one with medium weights on it. If that don't change anything, check the servo. He may have nicked a ring. Pretty common. When you have one with no OD, its' usually a servo, valve-body, or governor problem. The band is on in 2/4, and the 3/4 clutches are on in third and forth. So if it shifts to third, but not OD, that means the band is not coming back on it forth. The outer piston on the servo controls the 4th apply on the band. The inner piston is second. The no passing gear is most likely Governor, but could be valve body.

Bigd

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info. I put a bottle of Lucas in it and and after about 50 miles its started going into OD. It still hasn't went into passing gear I don't think. I can be running about 60the in OD and give it a lil gas and it will down shift into 3rd. But I can floor it and it won't go down to 2nd.