4l60e clunk!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a 97 K1500, when switching drive neutral park or reverse, I hear a loud clunk coming under the truck. I looked at it and it looks like it’s coming from the back end of the tranny.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably one of your U-Joints are failing. You probably wont be able to see it unless you take it out of the truck or jack the rear end up and move the drive line by hand. U-Joints surprisingly make a lot of noise when they start going even though they "look" fine.

My rear u joint at the rear end was the one that failed me all the time and I could tell it would start going when I would here the clunk going from park to drive and so on. And every time I took that u-joint out it was bad with very little wobble from the "post" of the u joint being worn and tapered.

indexcow

Reaction score
Greased the once closest to tranny but still does it occasionally
Sometimes your transmission will shift harder if it is warm and a loose u-joint will be louder. Greasing a u-joint does not fix the problem because a worn u-joint has excessive clearance or slop so when you shift your transmission there is room for it to move and cause a clunk.