1997 GMC K2500 Suburban - A/C button - no light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartyW

Reaction score
I've just acquired a 1997 GMC Suburban K2500 that I'd like to use as a tow vehicle. This burb seems to have been pretty well kept with most things working, but one thing not working is the A/C. When the A/C button is pressed on the control panel, the button light does not illuminate.

Does this sound like a bad control head or something else ? I'll check fuses this weekend when it warms up a few degrees. I had a 1998 burb with same controls and I had A/C problems several times but at all times the A/C button lit up on the '98 and passed power to the A/C compressor.

Thanks,
Marty

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does the A/C button latch or stay pushed in when you press it?

Does the compressor cycle when in DEFROST mode?

MartyW

Reaction score
Does the A/C button latch or stay pushed in when you press it?

Does the compressor cycle when in DEFROST mode?

The A/C button does stay in when pushed.
The Recirculate button light does light when temp control full cold at the blue dot.
The compressor clutch does not budge in A/C or Defrost.

This vehicle is new to me, so I can't be sure if there is enough pressure to get past the low pressure cut out.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The A/C button does stay in when pushed.
The Recirculate button light does light when temp control full cold at the blue dot.
The compressor clutch does not budge in A/C or Defrost.

This vehicle is new to me, so I can't be sure if there is enough pressure to get past the low pressure cut out.

See diagram below. The HVAC Control Module (a/c panel inside the vehicle) supplies voltage, eventually, to the compressor on the circuit numbered #66. If that light isn't coming on and the defrost isn't working, then I wonder if you even have power to the module (circuit #141).

You must be registered for see images attach

Below is the service diagnostic from a 1998 K1500 truck which, in theory, should work for a 1997. No promises, of course. Going through the steps, #14 tests for voltage received from the HVAC Control Module inside the vehicle. I wonder if your's would pass this step. You might also pull the a/c control from the dash and make sure that the connector/wiring isn't loose.

Last edited: