Writeup: Throttle Blade Removal Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98gm1500

Reaction score
good to know,mine seems to have enough electronic demons keeping it from wanting to pass an e test up here in the great white north, didn't want to risk making it any worse haha

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
I'm thinking of tackling this during the week. I'm a little nervous of the two screws that hold the plate on. Has anyone had locktite fail? I'm a little petrafide of one of those pesky things falling out.

Adam

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I never took the screws out of mine, i just took the tb off, pried the lip off the back of the plate with a screwdriver, and popped 2 rivets in the holes in the plate. Re-installed tb and she been great ever since.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I did this mod a couple weeks ago, I didnt even see this write up on here (I strongly agree if TBI upgrade is a sticky, this should be too) I saw some guy on you tube do it.

My air intake tube was all messed up so it gave me an excuse to buy a volant Intake, i put that on, drove around for a little bit, i felt a little smoother acceleration but at the same time I thought I could be "wanting" to feel smoother acceleration. anyways took her back, pulled the air intake off and pulled the throttle body off. I took the butterfly valve off and shaved the lip off with a dremel and a cutting wheel bit attached. thought it cleaned up real nice, then i took a drill powered wire wheel and a wire brush and some carb cleaner and cleaned the rest of the throttle body up the best I could. put everything together, and took her out on a cruise.......I immediately noticed greatly improved throttle response... I wish I had known this 9yrs ago when I bought her, I would of done it then. Personally I think its a great free upgrade.

Good Write up Vortec Lover. It should be stickied, more people would see it!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Kevinx

Reaction score
Bought my 98 last week, and found this forum over the weekend. Did this mod without removing the throttle body in less then ten minutes. Also did the low budget cold air mod. Definite change in throttle response, and combined the 2 mods made a 2 second difference in my timed 60-90 tests. Not bad at all for the price of a good filter, and 30 minutes. Thanks for the heads up on this.