Worth it to rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
I think in my opinion, if you budget your self right... and look around for good parts. You could do a frame off build for a good price, and still be cheaper then a new truck! And it will live anout 20 years! I say rebuild her!

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
^ potentially you could make yours a new truck, and have it outlive newer ones with the classic look but upgraded perfmormance, economy, luxury, and ride etc. look at others restorations people are converting to ls engine, and flex fuel, fixing everything vehicle came flawed with and making them literally bulletproof in a driving sense.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
^ potentially you could make yours a new truck, and have it outlive newer ones with the classic look but upgraded perfmormance, economy, luxury, and ride etc. look at others restorations people are converting to ls engine, and flex fuel, fixing everything vehicle came flawed with and making them literally bulletproof in a driving sense.

You mean my obs isn't bullet proof? :(

EastTXYukon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda the same situation for me. Wife has a 2004 Tahoe, 4.8 2wd, nothing special but with 112,000 on the odometer. I daily drive a 96 2 door Yukon with 175,000 on the odometer. Rebuilt transmission just recently, replaced ball joints, fuel pump and the motor is not original in it and it has about 140,000 on it.

I dont like having 2 vehicles above the 100k mark, and the wife wants something newer to drive. So my dilemma is which truck to sell. Do I sell the 96 and daily drive the 04? Or do I sell the 04 and continue to DD the 2 door. I know what I'd rather drive; I have wanted a 2 door since I started driving in 1995 and think they are the best looking trucks ever. The cool factor is way up there, but the practical side is talking to me as well.

I already have a weekend vehicle so thats not an option. What to do...

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Kinda the same situation for me. Wife has a 2004 Tahoe, 4.8 2wd, nothing special but with 112,000 on the odometer. I daily drive a 96 2 door Yukon with 175,000 on the odometer. Rebuilt transmission just recently, replaced ball joints, fuel pump and the motor is not original in it and it has about 140,000 on it.

I dont like having 2 vehicles above the 100k mark, and the wife wants something newer to drive. So my dilemma is which truck to sell. Do I sell the 96 and daily drive the 04? Or do I sell the 04 and continue to DD the 2 door. I know what I'd rather drive; I have wanted a 2 door since I started driving in 1995 and think they are the best looking trucks ever. The cool factor is way up there, but the practical side is talking to me as well.

LOL dont be scared. Dont let the miles get the better of you!
You must be registered for see images attach

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

265,000 miles on my '96 K1500. I'd not worry about driving it cross country at a drop of a hat.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll just end up keeping my OBS. I just F***ing love the look. Not even the Brand New 2014 can win me over. And I'm lucky. I got the first year Vortec :rockit: I just wish I got the 3rd door instead of the 2door.
The frame seems to be in good shape, and it still rides okay. But all in all I want to strip her down the frame (Keeping parts of course) and completely rebuild her. If it looks warn or broken replace it. New paint everywhere, fresh block or rebuild it, clean everything and throw a 14bolt rearend in her and 3/4 suspension all the way around. Because to be honest, I'm only 18. But I would love to have my kid show up with a classic to his prom.

How many of you can agree that any OBS is better then a Maserati or a Lambo?

$600 for a 94 burb with a busted tranny, good deal? for parts I mean lol. Cause I'll be robbing parts from the burb often.

Totally got off topic here hahaha :Nonono:

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Both my Malibu and K1500 have over 200K. And I trust these things better then my buddys 08 Chevy 1500. These new things are all plastic. No metal hardly.

If anything the Tahoe is just getting broke in. And the Yukon is in its prime. Nothing wrong with a high mileage vehicle. Now if you were talkin 300-350k. Then I'd say start lookin for a new rig. Save some cash bro. Keep em.

And if you are at all referring to mileage cost. Get a motorcycle hahaha I did. 70MPG. :lol: