Worth it to rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a choice here guys. Rebuild my whole truck so it's just like it rolled off the assembly line. Or buy a newer 1500. Help?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
ahhh the age old debate. like Cole said is there sentimental value? if there is keep the truck, rebuild it, whatever but id keep it. go test drive a new truck sit in it for awhile and think to yourself would you regret selling your current truck, or miss it so much you wish you never got rid of it?

if you can have both then fantastic, you can have one driver and one project truck. thats a win win.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It depends on what shape the truck you will be restoring is in?

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
^ yeah, kind of a vague question...but chances are no matter what shape your truck is it would be more economical to buy something in better shape. Unless your truck is mint of course, but then, why restore it?

As stated above it all boils down to sentimental value. My old half ton was special to me but in the end when it essentially needed a new frame along with a new motor I decided to let it go, despite all the work I had put into it. The amount of time and money (time is money, of course) required to fix it would have been high, and I still would have had a 15+ year old truck that wasn't worth more than the tires under it.

My 2 cents

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good points guys. I like the OBS but I might trade it in for a 02 chev 2500hd. The truck is fine but I like it. Lol
Starts up every time. Even when it's -20F out.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I say fur sure keep your obs...if you don't own it, its life will be short lived. End up in a junk yard real fast. America made great products in early to mid 90's and people had pride in building long lasting American trucks. You will never see an NBS out last your obs. Plus 99-2004 or whatever are cheap and ugly..not to mention bad safety ratings. Stick with obs.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Amen to sticking with obs! I love mine and its reliable and cheap to fix....try and find that in a new truck

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
depends what you would trade for too...if you got to put money with it you might as well build the truck you want with the money instead of a truck that is close but still not the same...not to mention my philosophy is build not buy...then you know what ya got

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Recently ive been having the same debate with my wife. I inherited my truck from my grandfather, it was the truck I learned to drive on while working in the hay fields etc etc. Ive looked at newer trucks but I cant justifiy the payment. Either your paying to fix or paying it off I figure I own it outright the frame is solid mine as well keep it the motor has developed a knock but I figure 1k bucks and a weekend I could have a freshened up motor and its still cheaper than a truck payment

Sent from the drivers seat