Wiring offroad lights to aux lamp switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastTXYukon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know the pinout for the OEM aux lamp switch on a 96 GMC? I have the switch, pigtail and wire harness for 2 KC Daylighters but don't know where each wire goes if I was to use the stock switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
Did you check the wiring diagram repository for one that shows the colors?

I know I had one for the fog light switch somewhere but the aux light switch might be different.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I'm making assumptions here that it has 4 wires. The convention is that light gray should be power for the internal light. Black should be the ground for the internal light. The other 2 will be connected when the switch is on and the connection is open when the switch is off.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
My assumption is wrong, it's going to have 5 wires because it has the indicator light in the switch.

EastTXYukon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a 4 wire with 2 black, orange and light gray.

EastTXYukon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This switch does not have an indicator in the switch

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
If it looks like the picture below, it should be the two pins that are circled that connect when the switch is on. Probably a black and an orange(the other black will be the ground for your dash lighting). I'd double check the two wires with a vom for continuity when the switch is on to make sure though.

Tap into one of the other gray wires in your dash for your dash lights and connect it to the gray wire on your switch. Do the same for the black ground wire. That will take care of the dash lighting/dimmer part of wiring it.

Then wire one side of the switched wires from a positive feed(you'll have to decide whether you want it to be always hot or only hot when the key is on) then the other wire will go to your relay trigger.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hope that helps.