Will it hurt my rear end with a shift kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just installed a shift kit into my truck and i was wondering since everything is stock will it hurt my rear end any cause with 33's i can chirp second and if i do it often will it make it go out?

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stock 10 bolts are a ticking time bomb. You installing a shift kit isn't going to add additional stress to the rear end.

98chevy4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So basically your saying the 10 bolts are **** but im fine with the shift kit but what can you do to the 10 bolts to make em better or is it just easier to get a 14 bolt

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
10 bolts can be pretty solid for every day applications if you change the carrier. The carrier WILL blow up if you beat the crap out of it. (so will your 4L60e) I have 263k on my factory 10 bolt and G80 but I tend to drive like an old man.

Not trying to scare you but here's worst case scenario:
Your carrier blows up, locks up the drive shaft and consequently explodes your transmission. It's not pretty when it happens and it has happened many times.

In my opinion, many people build their vehicles backwards. They build a strong motor, then blow up the trans or rear end. I'd start backwards. Strong rear end, strong trans, then build whatever motor you want.

Start saving up for an Eaton LSD or a locker if you spend a lot of time off road. Especially since you're running 33's.

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You don't really need different axles unless you're doing some MAJOR off roading; in which case you would upgrade to the 14 bolt anyways.

Can't go wrong with a tru trac and 4.10s. I love that GM is putting the tru trac in the GMT900 10 bolts.