Will It Fit?...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blahman24

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a 1989 Chevy 4x4 stepside, it has the 5 speed manual transmission, which is no good. I've been looking everywhere for a tranny, but can't seem to find one. I can get a tranny out of a 1995 Chevy 4x4 with a 4.3L, but from what i've been told, you can only use 1992 and prior manual tranny's in my truck, which limits my already small search range. I'm trying to collect some info on the tranny that would be in my truck and which ones would fit, but I haven't had much luck on the internet. Any info would be GREAT.

Thanks a lot

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well any 4.3 v6 or big block or small block trans will bolt to to either motor, big block, small block, 4.3 etc.

The thing would be the transfer case and how many splines it has and then bolts to mount the adapter to the trans. Still though 88-92 should fit, only thing I could see being different would be more computer junk. My 88 had no electrical at all to the trans(except lock up Tc since it was auto) but everything went to the t-case.

blahman24

Reaction score
Correction, the truck that i'm getting the tranny out of is a 1997.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Whats wrong with a manual transmission??? If you say you dont know how to drive one, you get your man card pulled!!!

I think he was pointing out the fact of either his tranny being shot or the fact that the T5's were weak and maybe he has plans for a higher torque motor later. Want a strong tranny? Get a Fuller! lol

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
All manual GM transmissions are 32 spline output. Any 5-speed variant will bolt up in place of your existing transmission, they should be the same length. IMO get a NV3500 or NV4500 to replace what you have now, depending on what your using the truck for.

There are no electrical connections on the transmission aside from the reverse switch.